During World War II, Dr. Lilburn S. Greenwood served as a Lt. Col. in the Pacific. He had served as the Winnebago County physician from 1935-1939. After the war, he returned to Rockford to open a medical office in the Trust Building. Source: Rockford Morning Star, Sept. 10, 1944, Feb. 19, 1947.
W.A.S.P, the Women’s Ambulance Safety Patrol, began in Rockford on April 3, 1940, founded by Rockford women. Some 200 Rockford women were involved in this home front war effort. These women stood ready to fill the roles vacated by the men serving in the military during World War II. This photograph was taken in the basement of the National Guard Armory. Photo courtesy Lou Paoli.