North End Bridge [also known as the High Bridge]

North End Bridge, approximately location of Auburn St. Bridge, a block and 1/2 further north on the West Side, 2.5 – 3 blocks further north on the East Side of the river. Wood sides, like a solid plank fence, on each side of the wood “floor”, similar to walls of covered bridges but without a roof.

Also known as the High Bridge, as it was most elevated toward center, so that Paddle Wheel boats could bass beneath it. It was 25 feet above the river.   Source: Rockford Register Gazette 3/15/1927

The Auburn St. bridge replaced the High Bridge and connected Auburn St. and Spring Creek Rd. in 1936/1937.

 

Source:  Rockfordiana:  Bridges – 1 and Rockford Morning Star 11/26/1937

State St. bridge # 2 – new 1890-91

Old bridge, a.k.a. the first State St. bridge, floated down river and became Chestnut St. bridge

Source:  Rockford: Big Town, Little City,  977.331 C973r

 

was inspected in 1943 by state engineer

new “loop bridge” a must in post-war construction

old bridge closed May 1, 1948

it took one year to completely removed old bridge

Source:  Rockford Morning Star 4/20.1952