Rockford Park District – Gold Medal Finalist

Source: Rock River Times Vol. 18 No. 50 May 18 – 24, 2011

Park District

Source: Rockford Morning Star 10/5/1930

Camp Rotary

1921 is when the Rotarians bought Bunker Hill Camp, south of the city, Rotarians owned Camp Rotary, Rockford Boys Club operated Camp Rotary. Donated to Winnebago County Forest Preserve Dist. In 1980 by Rotary

Source: Rockfordiana: Camp Rotary

“Camp Rotary Given Flag by Auxiliary” The Women’s Auxiliary of the Sons of Veterans will present a flag to Camp Rotary at Bunker Hill, appropriate exercises to be held at the camp Sunday, June 24. The flag is eight by ten feet in dimension and will be flown from a 100 foot flagpole dedicated last July 4. The auxiliary will give three other flags to the camp. One is 3 by 5 feet and will be used as a banner for the tent passing the best inspection each day. The second one, 4 by 7 feet, will go on top of the Boys club building at the camp. The presentation program will be held at 3 p.m. and the public is invited to attend the exercises. The Sons of Veterans and the members of G.A.R. will be taken to the camp in autos.  There will be a special speaker and music.

Source: Rockford Republic 6/4/1923

“Y.M.C.A. Camp For Girls Will Open August 3” for four full weeks of fun.

Source: Rockford Morning Star 6/21/1923

Best Camper Florabel Smith (photo)

Source: Rockford Morning Star 8/26/1923

Source: Rockford Morning Star 6/5/1929

1974 Park District took over operation

Source: Rockfordiana: Camp Rotary

Jeanie Gibbs, who passed away 2/3/2009 was Director of Camp Rotary many years

Source: RHS newsletter Aug 2009

stone gates, former entrance to camp, are all that remains at site I New Milford currently Rockford Rotary County Forest Preserve, goes into Kishwaukee County Forest Preserve 5390 Rotary Rd., Cherry Valley, IL, 61063

Source: 2010



Severson Dells Nature Center

named after engineer Harry Severson, former owner of property. Deer Lodge was built in 1952. Severson became President of Barber-Colman in 1952.  Severson died in 1957, his widow donated lodge and 369 acres to Winnebago County Forest Preserve

Source: Northwest Quarterly Magazine Summer 2008 Vol. 5 No. 2