Source: 1902 Rockford Illinois, Press of Horner Printing Company, Rockford, Illinois, p. 89 and Rockford Register Star, April 22, 2001, p. 31.
The building was completed in 1892 and named after Judge William Brown. First tenant was the People’s Bank of Rockford. It still houses the Amcore Bank. The Grand Army of the Republic found its home in the Brown Building also.
Its Romanesque Revival architectural style is considered very significant and helped to place it on the National Register of Historic Places on Aug. 10, 2000.