Source: Morning Star May 24,1978 pg.3
Source: Rockford Register Star 8/6/1978
Source: The Rockford labor news, Feb. 22, 1974, Page B-5
So. Main St. between Elm St. and Chestnut St.
Source: 1928 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
From 1928 McCoy’s Rockford City Directory, page 1033: Occupants (below)
201 S Main – Mid West Piggly Wiggley
203 S Main – James H. Farley, Banzai Lo Restaurant (owner S K Onishi)
205 S Main – Salamone & Sons meat market, also Dr. R S Grant
207 S Main – Hobart Print Shop, Rockford Army and Navy Supply
209 S Main – Pinkney’s Marble Grill, Illinois Hotel
211 S Main – Vacant
213 S Main – Henry Clay Shoe Store, Joe Rallo
215 S Main – Petritz Clothing Co.
217 S Main – Rockford Trunk and Leather Goods Co Inc
219 S Main – Muscle Shoals Cooperative Syndicate
221 S Main – Masters Shoe Co.
223 S Main – Dr. P. G. Luomons, A R Matts
225 S Main – Mrs. Jessie McRae, N J Metropolos
227 S Main – Main Hat Shop
229 S Main – Rice Accessory Co.
Source: 1928 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
The street numbers are outside the buildings shown.
Source: Winnebago County, Illinois, 2012 Land Atlas and Plat Book, page 16
Compiled and Published by Rockford Map Publishers, Inc., www.rockfordmap.com
Distributed by Winnebago County Farm Bureau, 1925 South Meridian Road, Rockford, IL 61101
Book also includes an aerial map of Burritt Township, page 17
Names indicate property owner/tax payer
The number following the name of property owner or Trustee is the number of acres in that plot. Some people own several unconnected plots of land and the number indicates acres in that specific plot.
Source: Rockford Furniture Herald, Nov. 1926, page 7
This list includes Railroad Companies that are located in Illinois and also those with HQ in other states that transport freight or passengers in Illinois. This list is of those who operated in Illinois in 1976.
Source: Illinois; an atlas by Charles W. Collins c. 1976 pages 6 and 7 R912.773 COL
Map 1 above
Map 2 above
Map 3 above
Source: Winnebago County Illinois Land Atlas & Plat Book, 1976 Distributed by Winnebago County 4-H Clubs Published Map Publishers Inc.
Sections 1 – 26 are keyworded
Source: Plat Map of Winnebago County, Illinois
Exact year not known, various landmarks in book, such as Willwood Cemetery and Seward Bluff Forest Preserve indicate the maps were post-1929 and pre-1941. Guilford Township merged into Rockford Township.
**Rockford Municipal Airport was operated by Fred Machesney, who also was a sales representative for airplane sales. It was used for pilot training including to WWII Camp Grant pilots. Greater Rockford Airport, now Chicago Rockford International Airport, was created after World War II when Camp Grant land was deed to Rockford for an airport. Many people referred to the earlier Rockford Municipal Airport as Machesney Airport, to distinguish from Rockford Airport.