Mrs. James Pope Campbell moved to Colorado very soon after marriage, and is missing from mention in Rockford newspapers until 1931 when she attended a Rockford Female Seminary/Rockford College Reunion picnic. She appears in a group photograph in the newspaper attending the 1931 Reunion picnic.
Source: Rockford Compiled by Workers of the Writers’ Program of the Works Projects Administration in the State of Illinois Illustrations by the Illinois Art Project, Sponsored by the City of Rockford Illinois Copyright 1941 Additional text information about the Female Seminary 917.733 W93
Rockford Female Seminary began in the 1800’s, eventually became Rockford College, which was for young women only, later became a co-ed school for young men and young women, and still later became Rockford University.
The original address was “Seminary between Bluff and Division St.” and kept that address at least through 1894-95 Rockford City Directory. People today, in 2016, may be familiar with the Winnebago County Health Dept. at 401 Division St., nearby the former Rockford Female Seminary location.
By 1930’s Rockford City Directory it was more specific and listed as 527 Bluff St. Bluff St. was later renamed as College Ave. Seminary St. is also nearby. Most of the buildings were razed, and only one still exists: the William Sherratt Hall.