The J. Norman Jensen Forest Preserve, 14400 S. Bluff consists of 112.5 acres. Named for a local resident who left a bequest to the Natural Land Institute, this property was transferred to the Forest Preserves in 2002. Situated on the Rock River, The preserve includes 10 acres of dry prairie. Botanist Dr. Egbert Fell, author of “Flora of Winnebago County,” identified the dry prairie. He was the father of George B. Fell, founder of the Natural Land Institute.
Photo postcard, Ice going out, Mar. 28, 1912, Rockford, ILL, donated by David G. Anderson. (The Rockford Morning Star reported on March 30, 1912, that Rockford Office Supply House had cards of the ice going out for sale.)
“A New Chapter for Stronghold Castle,” Northwest Quarterly, Cabin Fever, 2019, vol. 16, no.1. William A. Strong, publisher of the Chicago Daily News, purchased 360 acres and built Stronghold Castle in 1928-1929. Mr. Strong died in May 1931. In 1962, after Mrs. Strong died, the Presbytery of Blackhawk of PC (USA) bought the property. The murals in the castle were painted by Russian artist Nicholas Kaissakoff. One of the most popular events is the Olde English Faire, held the first full weekend in October.