Shirley Fedeli left an ‘immeasurable legacy’


Source: Festa Italiana, 2023, p.27

Rockford Seminary Syncopators 1928

Seminary Syncopators: Ellen Baker (Drums), Mabel Jones (Violin), Helen Lalasnsky (Piano), Agnes O’Dell (Saxophone), and Roberta Meese (Banjo)

The Seminary Syncopators, bubbling over with melody, harmony, and rhythm, have played their way into the hearts of all lovers of jazz and syncopation. This group of musicians, organized only this fall, have proved extremely popular as entertainers. They sponsored an “Oriental Tea Dance” on the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day, which was their first real public appearance, and since then have played at a number of college functions, including Washington Party, Dramatic Club plays, and short informal dances in the gymnasium.

Source: Cupola 1928  R378.7 R58 1928

Rockford High School Mandolin Club 1900

Mandolins: Raymond Frost, Louis Lindloff, Birdseye Pierpont, Belle Haley and William Hayes

Guitars: Fred Carrico, Mary Turner, Samuel Andrews and John Green

Source: The Annual MDCCCC  R379.7 R59R 1900

Community Saddened to See Rockford’s Church School Go

Source: Rockford Register Star, June 15, 2023, front page and continued on page 3A.

Anna Peck Sill’s Grave Marking Ceremony Held on May 18, 2023

The Robert Hempstead Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Colonists presented a dedication of a grave marker for Anna Peck Sill, Founder and Principal of Rockford Female Seminary on May 18, 2023 at Greenwood Cemetery. Rockford Female Seminary would later become Rockford College and then Rockford University.

Enjoy these scans of the event program and a photo before the unveiling of the grave marker.


(end of event program)

Photo before the unveiling taken by Amber Kresol on May 18, 2023.

At Rockford College’s 90th Birthday Celebration

Source: Rockford Morning Star, October 11, 1936.

Also found in the “Rockford College” binder from our Rockfordiana Files. This collection is located in RPL’s Local History Room.