“A New Chapter for Stronghold Castle,” Northwest Quarterly, Cabin Fever, 2019, vol. 16, no.1. William A. Strong, publisher of the Chicago Daily News, purchased 360 acres and built Stronghold Castle in 1928-1929. Mr. Strong died in May 1931. In 1962, after Mrs. Strong died, the Presbytery of Blackhawk of PC (USA) bought the property. The murals in the castle were painted by Russian artist Nicholas Kaissakoff. One of the most popular events is the Olde English Faire, held the first full weekend in October.
Source: Rockford Labor News, January 10, 1958, p. 3 This is still easier to read in original print or digital version in Paint. The digitized version is on Rockford Public Library computers, cover 1917 – 12-31-1965 as of January 2018. More will be digitized in the future (print copies continue through 2013).