Northwest Quarterly Magazine, Spring 2011 – Table of Contents

Source: Northwest Quarterly Magazine, Spring 2011, Vol. 8, No. 1

Keokuk – ca. 1819

a Sauk chief

portrait, page 87, Illinois Villages of the Indian Country Historic Tribes by Temple

in 1820, Keokuk was a war chief; their main village was on a point where the Rock River flowed into the Mississippi River.

It was estimated at that time, that the Sauk and Fox nations combined were 5,000 people, of whom 800 were warriors.

In 1830, Stabbing Chief and Keokuk returned to Rock Island; they informed William Clark that the Sauk would be willing to see their land.

The Sauk showed no signs of leaving the Rock River,

The Black Hawk War began.

As a result of the Black Hawk War, the Sauk and Fox were forced out of Illinois.

Source:  Indian Villages of the Illinois Country Historic Tribes by Temple   R970.1 T24

Winnebago County – Cartographic Map

RUW Cat Map

portion of Cartographic Map of Winnebago County, produced by The Legislative Study Group, Rockford Branch, of American Association of University Women

The portion shown shows the Rock River rising in a vertical line, and the Kishwaukee River veering toward the right, in a sometimes horizontal direction.  At  the bottom is Camp Grant, and at the top, Camp Fuller, which was located in the Harlem Blvd./Camp Ave./Guard St. neighborhood.  An Indian, shown “above” Camp Grant identifies Indian Ancestral Mounds. A drawing of a lady in bustle holding an umbrella shows the site of Rockford Female Seminary, which became what is now Rockford University. John Brown, of Harper’s Ferry, is shown driving cattle across the Rock River. Little cabins show a small settlement called “Rib Town” located at south end of Kishwaukee St., and a grain mill shows the location of the New Mill Ford, which became New Milford.

 

This map and many other maps and atlases are located in the Local History Room of Rockford Public Library.

Black Hawk Statue Restoration

3 photographs of damage to statue

“Funds Needed for Black Hawk Statue Restoration” by Susan Johnson, copy editor.

“The rough winter of 2013-2014 took a toll on the famous Black Hawk Statue in Ogle County. The 50-foot statue stands on a 125′ bluff overlooking Rock River in Lowden State Park. Constructed in 1910 by sculptor Lorado Taft, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally titled The Eternal Indian, it was intended to be a composite of Native American tribes who inhabited the area. Later, it was given the name “Black Hawk” in honor of the Sauk Leader who tried to defend his people’s homeland against the encroaching whites in the Black Hawk War of 1832.”

{10 additional paragraphs in article.)

Source: Rock River Times, July 2-8, 2014, Vol. 21, No. 37, pp 8 -9.