On December 31, 1947, Frank Lindgren flew his Piper Cub from Franklyn field in Cherry Valley to the new Greater Rockford Airport, becoming the first pilot to land at the new airport. The Camp Grant land had been formally turned over to the airport authority by the war assets administration. Rockford Morning Star, Jan. 1, 1948
Lt. Floyd D. Todd, 1316 Grant Ave., officer, among 12 men from part of the P-47 Thunderbolt fighter group, which was recently awarded a distinguished unit citation for smashing 2 German armored columns near St. Lo last July 11. The information was discovered in a news release from Ninth Air Force HQ in France.