Chicago & Northwestern Railway Freight Depot at 505 So. Church and Cedar streets, built in 1902. A previous Freight Building existed south of the railroad tracks. 40′ x 250′. Architect: Frost and Granger, Chicago; Contractor Grindele, from Chicago.
Prior to the C & NW Freight Depot, an old bottling works was on this property, and was razed to make room for the freight depot.
Chicago & Northwestern Railway provided service for 98 years (Chicago to Freeport, stopping in Rockford) ending on April 14, 1950.
Source: numerous newspaper articles; photo source: Jan Carter 8/7/2014