Holmes Addition – Garfield Ave.,

Holmes Addition 2

The property was first sold Thomas Garrison, namesake of Thomas Street, now called Ridge Ave.

The Garrison property was eventually subdivided. Part was sold to Rev. Mead Holmes in 1881.  Garfield Ave. is the main street in this subdivision although it includes part of Garrison Ave. and John St. on the east end of property and a block that includes Holmes St. (west side of Rockton Ave.).

Source of text about Holmes house: Rockford Daily Gazette, Dec. 6, 1882 p. 3

Source of map:  1892 Winnebago County Atlas

Holmes Addition 1900_0001