604 No. Main St. – Jno. Barbour Residence

Barbour

604 No. Main St., residence of Jonathan Barbour and Jonathan Barbour, Jr. in 1899 (City Directory)

Source of photo: “1902 Rockford Illinois”  (bk)

Barbour School was named after O.F. Barbour. This house was occupied by Jno. Barbour, who owned a dry goods store.  He had an ad in the Rockford Weekly Register-Gazette for 25% off good recently bought at the great “panic auction sales.”  The panic would be called a recession or depression in today’s terminology.

Jno. Barbour was also a Director of the Forest City Base Ball Club in 1870.

Main St., No., 901 – 1899

T.D.Robertson, president Winnebago National Bank, resides 901 N Main St.

Charles A E Martinson, Coachman for T D Robertson, resides 901 N Main St.

Mrs. Ingre Martinson, domestic servant for T D Robertson, resides 901 N Main St.

Source:  1899 Rockford City Directory