Main St., North, 806

Stevens, George A, cabinetmaker, res 806 N Main

Source: 1889-1900 City Directory

Rev Peter M Snyder, wife Constance, pastor 2nd Congregational Church, r 806 N Main

Source: 1909 City Directory

Rev. John Gordan  resident 1912-1947

Rev. John Gordan

Source: 1914 Rockford City Directory

Source: 1925-1933 Rockford City Directory

Flowers by Connie

Source: 1958 Rockford City Directory

1958 Connie moved shop from N. Main St. 1958 earlier shop was at 127 So. Church St. Connie died February 1977. Connie left shop to Ernest J. Diebold. Property sold September 1978 to David C. Kott

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 4, p33 & Rockford Register Star 2/21/1979

Flowers by Connie; Constance Tremulis

Source: 1968 Rockford City Directory


Source: Rockford 1920 and Beyond Eric A Johnson R 977.331 J669r page 66

burned down Tuesday night, “Built about Civil War time” photo of Rev. Cleveland, resident 1947-1958, huge living room with fireplace 6 bedrooms on 2nd floor, 1 on 3rd Floor parsonage for 2nd Congregational Church for 50 years.  Rev. Bliss preceded Rev. Gordon

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 4, p33 & Rockford Register Star 2/21/1979

originally called 1854 Aaron Marcellus mansion

Source: Rockford 1920 and Beyond Eric A Johnson R 977.331 J669r



Wortham, Horace M.

Horace M. Wortham

46, a leader in Rockford social, business, and industrial activities for 2 decades died Thursday from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at Long lake, Wisconsin. Rockford home 905 Ridgewood Road. Rev. John Gordon, of the 2nd Congregational Church will officiate. Burial at Willwood
Cemetery had been in ill health and had operation for appendicitis recently. At the cottage at the time of death were his widow and daughter.  Son of late Horace L. Wortham, Rockford pioneer merchant. Began leasing business 4 years after father’s death in 1932. Married Annette Hogland in 1917. Later was associated with Shell Oil and with Anderson Brass Co. Member Forest Hills Country Club and Rockford Elks Club

Source: Rockford Morning Star 9/15/1944

510 Indian Terrace

510 Indian Terrace

1947 article about historic home, 100 years after it was built by Goodyear Asa Sanford in 1847

Owners, Ralph and Mary Louise Hinchcliff have restored it

Has ornamental stonework which fell from Winnebago County Courthouse in 1877 which came from the home of Ralph Emerson, Mr. Hinchcliff’s grandfather

The stained glass windows also came from Mr. Emerson’s home on Church Street

In conservatory, there is a frieze of lobsters and frogs from the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair (World’s Columbian Exposition)

The home has stained glass windows from the Second Congregational Church that burned down, and also ones from the former Christian Union Church at North Main and Mulberry streets

There is a “Sambo” hitching post from the Christian Union Church

Contains photo of Mr. and Mrs. Hinchcliff at the main entrance

Contains photo of Mr. Hinchcliff by ornamental stonework with Indian Mound in foreground

Contains photo of south side of house with restored cupola and ornamental ironwork

Contains photo of college student in conservatory in front of wall of ivy in Hinchcliff home

Contains photo of two college students before fire in home’s country kitchen

(The article was published in 1947; the historic home was demolished in 1951 and an apartment building for the elderly was erected on the site in 1968)


Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 06/08/1947

Mrs. L. Blanche Estep

Mrs. L. Blanche Estep

Born 5/25/1875 near Dayton, Ohio

Married F. O. Estep 10/25/1904

Came to Rockford 1906

Died 08/14/1944 at St. Anthony Hospital

Funeral at Second Congregational Church, burial at Willwood Burial Park


Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 08/16/1944

Tuve J. Floden

Tuve J. Floden

Died June 16, 1970 of an apparent heart attack in Rockford Memorial Hospital at age 76

Residence: 2529 Barrington Place

Born November 16, 1893 in Chicago, Illinois

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Floden

Lived 66 years in Rockford

Graduate of Rockford Central High School

Graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1915

Married the former Lea Gordon in Rockford, April 6, 1921

He was President and Chairman of the Board of Nelson Knitting Company for 20 years

Commander of Craig Post of the American Legion since 1921

Member of the first Draft Board in Winnebago County

Commander of Rockford Citizens Defense Corps, War Man-Power Committee

Chairman of the Fire and Police Board

Funeral will be at Gordon Chapel, Second Congregational Church

Arrangements by Long-Klontz Funeral Home

Survived by his wife, Lea Floden; two sons, Robert Floden of Rockford and John Floden of Appleton, Wisconsin; one daughter, Mrs. Jill DeYoung of Ohio.

Three sisters survive, two of Rockford: Mrs. Florence Sanders and Ethel Floden


Source: Rockford Morning Star, 06/17/1970