Clifton Ave., 1401

Photos Source: Staff member at Rockford Public Library

original owners & occupants of house were Seth Trufant and wife Florence (Fannie,Adele), 1888

Source: 1888 Rockford City Directory

Seth and Florence married 5/3/1876

Source: winnebagocountyclerk.com

Seth moved here at age 10 with his parents David B. and Martha Trufant. Parents, brother George and sister Grace all born in Lunn, Massachusetts. Florence, Fannie, Adele was born in Fulton Co., Illinois, daughter of W.W. Burson. Her Father owned and was president of Burson Knitting Co.,

Source: 1880 Federal Census

Seth worked 10 years at Rockford Watch Co., a few years at Barmes Mfg., then at Burson Knitting

Source: obituary and Rockford City Directories

1900 Fed Census list Seth and Adele with 3 daughter: Grace 19, Norva, 16, and Hettie, 12

Source: 1990 Federal Census

County Clerk lists baby girl born 10/9/1879, Norva born 5/4/1884 and baby girl born 1/12/1888

Source: winnebagocountyclerk.com

Two daughters didn’t marry here. Grace married here in parents’ home

Mrs. Trufant is survived by her mother, Mrs E.S. Burson of Los Angeles. Mrs Trufant survived by her brothers, E.E. Burson, Los Angeles, and Wilson W. Burson,  (wife Hettie) v-pres B-Z-B Knitting, 1403 Harlem Blvd. (1920 City Directory) Niece Florence Burson, who married Maurice Hazzard (1920). Two daughters survived, Norva, still at home, and Mrs Grace Treadwell of Chicago. A third daughter, Mrs. Hettie Sparies, died in Alabama in 1915. Mr. Trufant died at home of Bright’s Disease. He came to Rockford at age 10. When gold was discovered at Pike’s Peak, he joined the westward rush. On his return to Rockford, Mr Trufant took charge of the pattern cylinder department

Source: Obituary

House listed to Norva Trufant

Source: 1920 Rockford City Directory

Mrs. G. Treadwell

Source: 1921 – 1925 Rockford City Directory

1935-37 tenant, Henri Wuhrmann, fireman, W F and John Barnes

Source: 1936 – 1937 Rockford City Directory

1938-39 Mrs. Grace Treadwell, Anthony Remencius (Virginia) grinder

Source: 1938 – 1939 Rockford City Directory

1940, 1941 Mrs. Grace Treadwell, Clifford Rogers laborer

Source: 1940 – 1941 Rockford City Directory

1944 – 1965 Mrs Grace Treadwell, no boarders

Source: 1944 – 1965 Rockford City Directory

1968 – Dennard Rubin

Source: 1968 Rockford City Directory

1969 – Andrew Guerin

Source: 1969 Rockford City Directory

1970 – 1979  Richard Hawkins, asmblr Chrysler Corp.

Source: 1970 – 1979 Rockford City Directory

No listing in 1980, 1981, 1982 Rockford City Directory

Source: 1980 – 1982 Rockford City Directory

1984 – listed as Apartments

Source: 1984 Rockford City Directory

 

 

 

 

 

“Famed Nelson Machine Made Over Industry — 1938 article

Below: Column 4

Source:  Rockford Morning Star March 20, 1938

Ziock, William, Jr.

William Ziock Jr.

Source: Rockford Register Republic 2/11/1957 & 2/12/1957

“A 1946 Interview with William H. Ziock, Jr.” by Hazel M. Hyde.  President of Ziock Industries 1905 – (1946) interview was followed by a trip through the plant at 418 So Wyman St. Mr. W.H. Ziock Sr. had a woolen mill that furnished yarn for Rockford Mitten Co. the woolen mill was in St. Charles, Missouri the 2 companies merged in 1855, Ziock and crew came to Rockford name was changed to Rockford Mitten and Hosiery in 1885 W.H. Ziock, Sr became president of Rockford Mitten and Hosiery. W H Ziock Jr. became president after his father died in 1905. Organized Ziock Industries somewhat later. Founded B-Z-B Knitting in 1910. Founded B-Z-B Knitting in 1910. Ziock Paper Box Co. and King Co. were both located at 417 S Wyman St. Jr was also responsible for the construction of William Ziock Building. William Jr. was born Nov 1863 in St Louis to Elizabeth & William Ziock. He married Lulu Mackwitz in St Louis, 4 children. Junior’s patent was granted in Canada (#287326) At the time of dissolution there were 3 subsidiaries: Beloit Hosiery (Seneca Falls, NY), Tenn-Rock Hosiery (McMinnville, TN) and Manchester Mills (Machester, TN)

Source:  “A 1946 Interview with William H. Ziock, Jr.”  Nuggets of History Nov.-Dec 1968 & www.ziock.org

Ziock Building

see also Rockford Automobile Show  (1923, held in Ziock Building)

416-24 So Main St.

Source: 1937 & 1945 City Directory
William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building 6

William Ziock Building

William Ziock Building Interior

 

William Ziock Exterior

2010

William Ziock Building Construction

William Ziock Building 1920's

Knitting District

Above Source: www.ziock.org

William Ziock Building artist rendering

Above, Gary W. Anderson Architects drawing with proposed changes

Source: Rockford Register Star 2/21/2014

 

 

 

War Effort Publicity – 1943

War Effort Publicity

Source:  Rockford Morning Star Sept. 5, 1943

Monkey Business – 2004, sock monkeys

Monkey Business - 1

Source: Rockford Register Star April 1, 2004

Monkey Business - 2