Bergman, Harriet Louise

Miss Suzanne Wortham is giving a postnuptial shower for the June bride, Mrs. John Hawley Barnard. a special guest will be the April bride Mrs William Hinrichs, the former Jerry Stewart. Sue, Jerry and Harriet were roommates at Beloit College. Harriet and Ensign Barnard were married June 3 at New London, Connecticut were at home for a time at The Laurels in Gales Ferry, Connecticut. His parents, the James R Barnards in Albany, N Y. Pi Beta Phi sorority sisters gave Mrs. Barnard a miscellaneous shower Aug. 1.

Source: Rockford Morning Star 8/8/1944

Barloga, Jesse A. – 1302 Bushnell, Beloit, WI

Barloga - 1302 Bushnell, Beloit

Architect: Jesse A. Barloga, Additions, not the main house itself; 1302 Bushnell, Beloit, WI ; Commission #402, Elbert Neese home Additions to house built in 1895; Additions were in 1920 and 1931. Style: Tudor Revival

Wisconsin State Historic Register, January 7, 1983.  Photo courtesy of Marty Mangas, photographer.  ca. 1970 – 1975

Source: Loan from Marty Mangas

Elbert Neese was the president of Beloit Iron Works, Beloit, WI; he was Chairman of the Board of Sandusky (Ohio) Foundry and Machine Co., president of Beloit Corporation; past director of the Beloit State bank, Warner Electric Brake and Clutch Co., Beloit, and the Beloit Foundation.

Mr. Neese served as vice-president of the Beloit Iron Works from 1916 – 1931, when he became president of the company, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of paper-making machinery. He became chairman of the board in 1952, the same year he was awarded an honorary doctorate by Beloit College.

He was born in Monroe County, West Virginia, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon R, Neese. He died at age 75, September, 1961 and is buried in Eastlawn Cemetery.  He is survived by his widow, 2 sons and one daughter.

[More in death article.]

Source: Rockford Morning Star Sept. 19, 1961

More photographs and history mentioned in Wisconsin Register of Historic Places, . Barloga is not mentioned in Register of Historic Places.

Rockford Female Seminary – 1876

Rockford Female Seminary Sm

which later became Rockford College then Rockford University

The Rockford Female Seminary originated in connection with Beloit College, and its founders designed to make liberal provisions for the thorough collegiate education of young women.

Board of trustees: Rev. Joseph Emerson, Beloit, Wisconsin, pres.; Rev. Wm S Curtis, D.D., Rockford, vice-pres.; Rev. Frank P. Woodbury, Rockford, secy., Thomas D. Robertson, Esq., Rockford, treas., W.A. Dickerman, Esq. Genl Agent.

Source:  Brainerd’s Rockford City Directory for 1876, pp 24-25.