Source: The Rockford Morning Star October 6, 1918 p.3
Source: Rockford Morning Star and Rockford Register-Republic “Century Plus 10” Special Edition, March 1962
Brochure lists address as 1904 N. Main St. Same building now also uses Burton St./Fremont St. entrance and parking lot, It began as owned by North Rockford W.C.T.U. and housed children, many who have been sick and unable to attend school, and are examined by a doctor and by a dentist. The building was called Elizabeth McFarlane Home for Children and also as Childrens Home and Community House.
Children come to the Home in a variety of circumstances, such as when the parents are separated, or one parent is deceased. Some pay board. Dependent children are sent by the court and the County pays for them. Some children have been deserted by their parents. Food and clothes are provided, The home started with $10,000 the Beattie Sisters left to the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. 1800 persons a month was the “high” number of those treated.
“The home is [also] used by people who want to leave their children while the mother is employed or aken to the hospital for treatment.” “Those who are able, pay board. There is a great deal of charitable work done.” The W.C.T.U. Unions of the state have responded very liberally with money, clothing, fruit and eggs. Clubs and societies have helped to support the home.
The building has been called many names over the years, including the North Rockford Convalescent Home, which was used by adults recovering from surgery or illness.. According to Rockford Township Assessor’s website, the building now (2017) is 10 apartments.
Jesse A. Barloga, architect, designed what was originally the Children’s Home, in 1923, at 631 Longwood Ave. Source of photos: Jan Carter, 2011
(Viola H) architect 222 Rfd News Tower h1220 National Ave Source: 1937 Rockford City Directory
architect degree, University of Illinois 1911
married Viola Hodgson 1915, artist, interior decorator
Rockford career as architect 1913-1947
WWI-Camp Grant construction
designed Rockford Register Star news tower
designed Childrens Home (now Pioneer Building )
Harold Bartelt home 1945ish
his home, 1324 Brown Hills Rd.
photo page 3 of 1324 Brown Hills Rd house
photo 1922 Clinton St. house p5
photo 1837 Harlem Blvd. house p5
Source: Nuggets of History December 2001