“The above home at 2328 So. Main Street was described in an 1892 collective biography as a “palatial residence, one of the most elegant and attractive in the county” which stood “in the suburbs of the beautiful city of Rockford,,overlooking the Rock River.” Thatcher Blake, according to the same volume, erected the house in 1870 and livered there until his death on Oct. 8, 1880. Mrs. Blake continued to live there until she passed away on October 26, 1900. The Blakes’ adopted daughter, Mrs. Kittie Bean, together with her three sons, Thatcher, Winslow and Clarence, resided with Mrs. Blake from the time of Mr. Bean’s death in 1888 until after Mrs. Blake’s passing in 1900. In 1892 the property was sold to John T. LaForge, who was in the rendering business.
Author of article: Robert H. Borden
Source: Nuggets of History, a Bi-Monthly Bulletin of the Rockford Historical Society, July-August, 1965, Vo. 2, No. 5
*This house was razed prior to 1984