Winnebago County Court House 1904

On May 11, 1877, while this court house was still under construction, the central dome collapsed without warning killing ten workman and

seriously injuring ten more.  Henry L. Gay, the architect, was ruled responsible because of flaws in his building plans.  Nevertheless, the building

was completed in 1878.

In the front central circle can be seen the statue of the soldier who now guards the entrance to Memorial Hall on Wyman Street.

Source: Rockford To-day 1904, The Rockford Morning Star, The Clark Company Press, 1903.

 

 

East State St. 400 Block

83  West State  Platner & Travis, meat market, n s b Church & Court

n s b Church & Court  Alverson, G.B., grocer

n s b Church & Court  Andrew & Day, meat market

n s b Church & Court  Campbell,Wm. H., confectionery

n s b Church & Court  Dagwell, C H. C., saddles, harness, whips &c.

n s b Church & Court  Miller, Henry, eating house & confectionery

n s b Church & Court  Redman, Reuben, barber

n s b Church & Court  Sabin, Charles, druggist

n s b Church & Court  Watson, James, family grocery & provisions

s s b Church & Court  COURT HOUSE (& county buildings)

n e c State & Court  McClure A., bakery

n w c State & Church  Hope & Clow, hardware, stoves &c.

n w c State & Church  Lyon, Isaiah, justice of the peace

 

 

State St., W b Church & Court

G. B. Alverson Family Grocery & Provisions n s State b Church & Court

Andrew and Day Meat Market  n s State b Church and Court

Court House and County Buildings s s State b Church and Court

Henry Miller Eating House and Confectionery, n s State b Church and Court w s

Platner & Travis Meat Market, 83   n s State b Church and Court

James Watson Family Grocery and Provisions  n s State b Church and Court

City Hotel s e c State and Church

Archibald, Regan & Co journeyman boot and shoe store n e c State and Church w s

C.H.C. Dagwell, Saddles, Harness, Whips n s State b Church and Court

Wm. Johnston n s State b Church and Court

Wm H Miller. Bds, n s State b Church and Court

Charles Sabin, Drugs, Medicines, Paints, Oils  n s State b Church and Court

Source: 1859-1860 City Directory

 

Courthouse – second – 1844

Courthouse - second - 1844

“The history of the location of Winnebago County Seat led to a seven years war of heated controversy.  The proprietors of Winnebago town, then located in our now North End, wanted the County Seat, but the County Commissioners opposed it.  This situation finally brought it to the State Legislature, who caused a vote to be taken here in May, 1838, which resulted in Rockford’s getting the County Seat. June 8th, 1839, Commissioners selected a square on East side for Court House. September 28th, 1841 West side men submitted a proposition to furnish a site on the West side until permanent buildings could be erected.  December 11th, they turned over Court House and new log jail, opposite where Nelson Hotel now stands. In 1843 this same group of citizens and others offered to build and furnish Court House as desired, provided it was on the West side—– the above shows the Court House as finished in 1844, on site now occupied by present building.”   [400 West State St.]

Source:  “Rockford since Pioneer Days  1834,”  Courtesy of Rockford National Bank,  Rockford, IL, Oct 14, 1927         R977.33 R59