Began 1885 see also Fitch, Dr. W.H. City’s first private hospital. Corner of So. Court and Chestnut St.
Source: Rockford Big Town/Little City 977.331 C973r
Under ownership of the Rockford Hospital Association, 262 individuals in Rockford Hospital Associations 1887 – larger building needed. March of 1888 second building was dedicated at a cost of $15,000. Second building accommodated 30 beds 2nd building 3 story brick, connected by hall to old building original building living rooms for matron and nurses after 3/1888. Elevator donated in March 1988 by Horatio Stone cost of $1500. First operating room funded by Mrs. Ralph Emerson donation after son’s death run on subscriptions and collections. The original nurses: Lizzie Glenn, Melanie Caillat, Sofie Carlson, Myrtle Miles, Elizabeth Edstrom, Mrs. Johanna St. Clair, Louisa Ray and E. Tillich