Originally, the East Side High School, built in 1857-58 was at the north end of this block. A terrible fire led to the building to be razed by contractor Adam Shrive. In 1893, the Rockford City Council approved the design and plan and expenses to build the above architect’s drawing for Adams School (elementary). It remained Adams School until 1904, when the name was changed to Henry Freeman School. It was named for a former principal. The architect was David S. Schureman. The school was constructed on the south end of the same block. Address: 910 Second Ave.
In 1945 the school was converted to use as a Special Education Building, taught to children who were polio victims.
In 1970 it closed as a Special Education Building and became a middle school.
In 1978 it was renamed Freeman Square. In the 1980’s it was converted to office space.