STAR’S FIRST EXTRA TOLD OF COSTLY BLAZE 1938

Adams School, later Freeman School, later Freeman Square

Originally, the East Side High School, built in 1857-58 was at the north end of this block.  A terrible fire led to the building to be razed by contractor Adam Shrive.  In 1893, the Rockford City Council approved the design and plan and expenses to build the above architect’s drawing for Adams School (elementary). It remained Adams School until 1904, when the name was changed to Henry Freeman School.  It was named for a former principal.  The architect was David S. Schureman.  The school was constructed on the south end of the same block. Address: 910 Second Ave.

In 1945 the school was converted to use as a Special Education Building, taught to children who were polio victims.

In 1970 it closed as a Special Education Building and became a middle school.

In 1978 it was renamed Freeman Square. In the 1980’s it was converted to office space.

 

Ny-Lint Tool and Manufacturing Co. – 1940’s (3)

Ny-Lint - 1

Source:  Rockford Morning Star August 31, 1941

Ny-Lint - 2

Source:  Rockford Morning Star December 13, 1942

Ny-Lint - 3

Source:  Rockford Register-Republic April 3, 1943

 

 

Prohibition – 730 Dickerman St.

Dickerman St.

“Bootlegger Flees after Still Blast; Explosion Sets Fire to Flat Building”

“Another Rockford moonshiner took
to the tall timbers this morning
at 8 o’clock when one of his two
stills exploded and started a fire in the
basement of a flat building at
730 Dickerman street.
   Responding to a fire call to that
address this morning at 8 o’clock,
firemen found the basement window
wrecked by the explosion of a
36 -gallon still and a small blaze.
Entry into the basement disclosed
a 50 – gallon still operating full force.
The fire was soon extinguished.
Detectives John Anderson and Ed
Cavanaugh were called and investigation
developed that some of the half a dozen
families occupying the flat, a former
macaroni factory, knew the identity
of the owner of the two stills.
There were four other gas plates in the
basement in addition to the two beneath
the stills.
Fifteen barrels of mash were destroyed
and the two stills, five gallons of hootch,
300 pounds of sugar, five packages of
yeast and several containers were
taken to the police station’s “liquor cellar.”
The two stills were equipped for fusil
oil elimination and embraced every
device and art known in scientific
“moonshine” distillation. The 50 -gallon
still appeared to have been in operation less
than 2 weeks.”
Rockford Daily Register-Gazette
1/18/1924

 

Northern Star Plating and Finishing

Northern Star Plating

“Second major blaze strikes Loves Park plating company”

“Loves Park – Firefighters sifted through the ruins of a portion of the Northern Star Plating and Finishing Co., 505 River Lane, Thursday afternoon seeking the cause of the second major fire to hit the place in six weeks.”

Source: Rockford Register Star March 14, 1980