National Ave. , 1408 – Jesse A. Barloga

National Ave., 1408 13

1408 National Ave., Jesse A. Barloga, architect, Built 1926,  Commission #258, Commissioned by Fred and Minnie Haines.  In From 1918 -1925 they were living at 1621 National Ave.[possibly earlier years as well] according to McCoy’s Rockford City Directory for 1925.  Source of photograph: Marty Mangas, ca. 1968-1970.

Haines - 1508 National

Possibly there was a “typo” that listed Mrs. Haines at 1508 National Ave., rather than at 1408 National Ave. in the Rockford Morning Star Nov. 18, 1926.

 

Haines obit 13

Obituary source:  Rockford Morning Star August 14, 1942

Minnie Haines obituary

Source:  Rockford Morning Star Oct. 14, 1955

In 1944 Leonard W. and Catherine M. Condon sold their house on Clinton Ave. and bought the Haines house at 1408 National Ave.. Mr. Condon was president of the Contour Hosiery Mills in Rockford.  Source: 1944 Rockford City Directory

Current Resident since Aug. 2013: Chad and Leah Tuneberg. Sale price $229,000.

 

 

 

Forest View Abbey’s demise (Greenwood Cemetery) – 1984

Forest View - 1_0001

Source:  Rockford Register Star Sept. 5, 1984

Forest View - 2

Source:  Rockford Register Star Sept. 5, 1984

Forest View - 3

Source:  Rockford Register Star Sept. 5, 1984

Forest - 4

 

 

1120 Harlem Boulevard

Mrs. Esther Winchester of 1120 Harlem Boulevard died at home.  Her funeral will be at home

Mrs. Winchester was a pioneer of a Northern Illinois farm

She was born in Erie, Pennsylvania on 10/16?/1850

She moved at age 3 to Pecatonica with her father, Squire Corwin

She was married in Pecatonica to the late Thomas Winchester, prominent area builder and stonecutter

A daughter, Mrs. Edith Pitney, preceded her in death

Four children survive her: Mrs. Nellie Tole and Mrs. McIntosh of Rockford, Mrs. Harry Tear of Galena, IL and Mr. Thomas Winchester, Jr. of Lincoln, Nebraska

Reverend John Gordon will officiate, with burial in Forest View Abbey

Esther J. Winchester obituary, 1936
Esther J. Winchester obituary, 1936

 

Remainder of Esther Winchester's obituary
Remainder of Esther Winchester’s obituary

 

Source: Rockford Morning Star, 02/11/1936

 

1120 Harlem Boulevard

1120 Harlem Boulevard

Thomas Winchester, prominent stonecutter, died at home 08/12/1933

Born in Wooler, Northumberland County, England on 10/14/1846

Came to Pecatonica in 1857

Married to Esther Corwin 12/29/1870 in Pecatonica

Survived by son Thomas R. Winchester of Lincoln, IL, and three daughters: Mrs. John R. Tole and Mrs. William M. (Mabel) McIntosh of Rockford, and Mrs. Harry O. Tear of Oalina, IL

He was preceded in death by his daughter, Mrs. Edith Pitney; a brother, John Winchester of Pecatonica; and two sisters: Mrs. Nellie Blowfield and Mrs. Anne Whitmeyer of Rockford

Mr. Winchester built the P. R. Walker School and the Masonic Temple, completed City Hall, and provided the stonework for Memorial Hall and the Library

The Reverend O. Garfield Backstrand of Trinity Lutheran Church will officiate, with burial in Forest View Abbey

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 08/15/1933

Barloga, Jesse – Forest View Abbey, Greenwood Cemetery

Designed by Architect Jesse A. Barloga in 1913, adjacent to Greenwood Cemetery, No. Main St., Rockford, Illinois
Designed by Architect Jesse A. Barloga in 1913, adjacent to Greenwood Cemetery, No. Main St., Rockford, Illinois

 

from the exhibition program of “Jesse A. Barloga” (1888-1947) Architectural Styles; Rockford Art Museum, Rockford, Illinois, Apr. 2 – May 15, 1988

The building was demolished in 1986.