Graham, Freeman

not in 1857 City Directory

Source: 1857 Rockford City Directory

1859-60, 1866  City Directory lists Graham as foreman, Talcott, Emerson & Co.

Source: 1859 – 1860 1866 Rockford City Directory

and Julia, and 5 children are in 1860 census here

Source: 1860 Federal Census

came to Beloit in 1855, and engaged in the implement business and 4 sons, Freeman, Byron, Julius and David, launched Graham Cotton Mills, Graham Distillery and paper mills

cotton mills, (Graham & Sons) resident 905 So main St.

Source: 1869 Rockford City Directory pg. 235

 

Rockford, Rock Island and St. Louis Railroad Company – 1870

R Tinker - 1

R Tinker - 2

Source:  Rockford Weekly Register-Gazette Mar. 19, 1870

Heritage Houses – 1972

Heritage Houses

Source:  Rockford Morning Star Oct. 9, 1972

Main St., South, 1116

 

home of H.S. Warner built by Mrs. Warner’s father, Freeman Graham

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1 & Rockford Morning Star 5/17/1965 & 1902 Rockford City Directory Graham was owner of Graham Distilleries Ginestra bought house in 1925 Ginestra opposes Blackhawk Bottling wall proposal carriage house, outhouse are preserved

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 2 pg. 50 & Rockford Morning Star 6/29/1969

“pre-Civil War home offered as a museum” limestone blocks used to build house; typifies South Rockford; 1 exterior, 2 interior photos daughter Mrs. Schmeltzer has offered house to Rockford Park District for preservation as a museum Rockford Park District owns and maintains Tinker Cottage and lands around it as a park

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 4, p23 & Rockford Morning Star 09/01/1978

Guadalajara De Noche

Source: 1994 & 2005 City Directory

 

Rockford’s Oldest Houses

Rockford's Oldest House Herrick Cobblestone House, 2027 Broadway, Built 1847; Elijah L. Herrick; Cape Cod Colonial with Greek Revival style adaptations Graham-Ginestra House, 1115 So. Main St., Built in 1857, Freeman Graham, lived there 1857 – 1927. The Ginestra Family bought the home in 1927 and lived there until 2006. Civil War Hospital, “Camp Fuller Civil War Hospital,” 1260 No. Main St., built in 1842, Brewmaster’s House, Peacock Brewery, 500 No. Madison, Built circa 1845, Jonathan Peacock bought the house in 1849.  By his death in 1893, he was recognized as the richest man in the county, with an estate worth 1/2 a million dollars.  Jacob Posson House, 201 No. Second St., home of a Civil War Veteran, lost an arm in the Battle of Shiloh ; built 1842. Willard Wheeler House, 228 So. First St. Built 1843; Wheeler was the second tinner in Rockford, village trustee, mayor of Rockford.

Source: Nuggets of History; Vol. 52, No. 3,  October 2014