Andrews, William

“Death Summons Wm. Andrews at Age of 82 Years” Civil War Veteran and Long Supervisor of Rockford, a past commander of G.L. Nevious Post #1, G.A.R. 10 year member of that Illinois patriotic order for many years prominent on Winnebago County Board as supervisor. Found dead in his bed at 1724 Harlem Blvd. He had suffered from stomach troubles for several years. Born in County Armagh, Ireland, Oct 15, 1945 (photo says 1840) came to America with his parents c. 1847. Located in Boone County where he attended public school. At 20, went to Capron, where he taught school 2 years. August 22, 1862 enlisted in Co. E, 95th Illinois infantry/Col. Humphrey he fought in battles of Champion Hills, Vicksburg, Red River and more. Awarded a medal for battle of Vicksburg. Mustered out Aug. 17, 186_ he returned to Capron where he taught 4 years. In 1869 he entered the dry good business at Capron, 29 years later he sold his business and moved to Rockford. Married Miss Mary Smith in Capron, in 18__who survived as do 2 children: E.E. Andrews, Chicago and Mrs. Fred L. Burr, 1725 Harlem Blvd.

Source: Rockford Morning Star 8/30/1923

Camp Rotary

1921 is when the Rotarians bought Bunker Hill Camp, south of the city, Rotarians owned Camp Rotary, Rockford Boys Club operated Camp Rotary. Donated to Winnebago County Forest Preserve Dist. In 1980 by Rotary

Source: Rockfordiana: Camp Rotary

“Camp Rotary Given Flag by Auxiliary” The Women’s Auxiliary of the Sons of Veterans will present a flag to Camp Rotary at Bunker Hill, appropriate exercises to be held at the camp Sunday, June 24. The flag is eight by ten feet in dimension and will be flown from a 100 foot flagpole dedicated last July 4. The auxiliary will give three other flags to the camp. One is 3 by 5 feet and will be used as a banner for the tent passing the best inspection each day. The second one, 4 by 7 feet, will go on top of the Boys club building at the camp. The presentation program will be held at 3 p.m. and the public is invited to attend the exercises. The Sons of Veterans and the members of G.A.R. will be taken to the camp in autos.  There will be a special speaker and music.

Source: Rockford Republic 6/4/1923

“Y.M.C.A. Camp For Girls Will Open August 3” for four full weeks of fun.

Source: Rockford Morning Star 6/21/1923

Best Camper Florabel Smith (photo)

Source: Rockford Morning Star 8/26/1923

Source: Rockford Morning Star 6/5/1929

1974 Park District took over operation

Source: Rockfordiana: Camp Rotary

Jeanie Gibbs, who passed away 2/3/2009 was Director of Camp Rotary many years

Source: RHS newsletter Aug 2009

stone gates, former entrance to camp, are all that remains at site I New Milford currently Rockford Rotary County Forest Preserve, goes into Kishwaukee County Forest Preserve 5390 Rotary Rd., Cherry Valley, IL, 61063

Source: 2010

 

 

Camp Fuller – Memorial is Dedicated 9/26/1927

Camp Fuller - Is Dedica

Source:   Rockford Daily Republic Sept. 26, 1927

Camp Fuller – Memorial to be Unveiled 9/24/1927

Camp Fuller - 3

Source: Rockford Daily Register-Gazette  9/24/1927

Colonel Garrett L. Nevius – Nuggets of History, 1989

Colonel Garrett L. Nevius

As early as 1860, he formed Lincoln’s Wide-Awake Club, with its militia drill

The Wide-Awake club became Rockford’s Zouaves

The Zouaves became Company D, 11th Infantry

Colonel Garrett L. Nevius was killed at Vicksburg in May 1863

On June 1, 1866, Rockford Veterans formed the G. L. Nevius Post of the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic)

The Nevius Post continued as long as there were Civil War veterans to meet

Colonel Nevius
Colonel Nevius

 

Source:  Nuggets of History, Spring 1989, Rockford Public Library Local History Collection

McFarland, Henry

McFarland, Henry

“Henry McFarland, (above), who was re-elected  his fifth term as commander of G.L. Nevius post, No. 1, G.A.R., at the annual meeting of Civil War Veterans here yesterday afternoon at Memorial Hall.”

Source of picture (above): Rockford Morning Star 12/4/1932, page 12.

Source: The picture (above) also appears in Rockford Morning Star Dec. 20, 1932 when McFarland’s death was announced. McFarland was elected on Dec. 3, 1932.

and at a later date:

“G.A.R. Will Pay Final Tribute  to Commander”

“Henry McFarland to be Buried Today”

includes “Military rites will be held at 2 p.m. at Memorial hall with the Rev.. William H. Fulton, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, officiating.  Members of the Sons of Union Veterans, which organization will be represented with a large delegation, will serve as pallbearers. Burial is to take place in Greenwood Cemetery.”

and

“His death will necessitate selection of a new commander for Nevius post.  He was to have been installed for a fifth term on Jan. 7. His election to a fifth term occurred December 3.”

“The body of the commander will lie in state in Memorial hall from 10:30 a.m. until the time of the funeral.”

Source of second article: Rockford Morning Star, December 21, 1932