Main St., North, 505

owners: Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Hinchcliff plans: A. Reyner Eastman altered century old home former factory retread plant on site
fire in the Fall of 1945 scarcity of materials created new possibilities much material from Burlington RR station ten tons of stone from Central High School marble table tops from old Post Office photo of house on Indian Terrace guest house listed as 511 N Main same house listed as 510 Indian Terrace.

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1 &   Rockford Register Star 6/17/1947 & Rockford Register Star or Rockford Morning  Star 11/9/1951
505 North Main Street

Source: Rockford Morning Star 4/6/1952

$300,000 cost of remodeling

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1 & Rockford Register  Star 11/9/1951

Elevator imported from England in 1900 marble fireplaces imported from Italy 1880  house picked up and moved next door to make room for 300 car parking lot from 436 North Main. House weighed 300 tons.

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1 & Rockford Register Star 3/15/1950

Wrecking permits issued to Parson Wrecking Co. 3rd property at N. Main St. + Mound Ave. Original house built in 1847 by Goodyear Sanford

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1 Rockford Register Star 11/9/1951

interiors featured in “88 historic Illinois Residences” by Drury, pub. Illinois State Historical Society (not owned by RPL)
Rockford Register Star 2/27/1949

Indian Mound on Hinchcliff property excavated representatives of Burpee Museum of Natural History and Beloit College present
nothing found that could prove anything

Source: Rockford Morning Star 4/6/1952

Carriage House once Goodyear Sandford’s property later Ralph Hinchcliff’s  pp39/40; to be razed. Highrise for elderly planned
Hinchcliff’s 1st wife: Hortense Hinchcliff’s 2nd wife: Mary Louise Ware.  Hinchcliffs now reside in California tunnel once linked main house & carriage house Ralph is the grandson of Ralph Emerson

Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks – 2 & Rockford Morning Star 10/8/1967Sanford-Hinchliff Home

Source: photo of Sanford-Hinchcliff House in Rockfordiana: Historic Houses 2

505 North Main Street
Source: http://maps.google.com/streetview printed out in 2011 photo from 2009?
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

510 Indian Terrace

510 Indian Terrace

1947 article about historic home, 100 years after it was built by Goodyear Asa Sanford in 1847

Owners, Ralph and Mary Louise Hinchcliff have restored it

Has ornamental stonework which fell from Winnebago County Courthouse in 1877 which came from the home of Ralph Emerson, Mr. Hinchcliff’s grandfather

The stained glass windows also came from Mr. Emerson’s home on Church Street

In conservatory, there is a frieze of lobsters and frogs from the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair (World’s Columbian Exposition)

The home has stained glass windows from the Second Congregational Church that burned down, and also ones from the former Christian Union Church at North Main and Mulberry streets

There is a “Sambo” hitching post from the Christian Union Church

Contains photo of Mr. and Mrs. Hinchcliff at the main entrance

Contains photo of Mr. Hinchcliff by ornamental stonework with Indian Mound in foreground

Contains photo of south side of house with restored cupola and ornamental ironwork

Contains photo of college student in conservatory in front of wall of ivy in Hinchcliff home

Contains photo of two college students before fire in home’s country kitchen

(The article was published in 1947; the historic home was demolished in 1951 and an apartment building for the elderly was erected on the site in 1968)

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 06/08/1947

510 Indian Terrace

510 Indian Terrace

Ralph Hinchcliff in front of ornamental stonework which fell from Winnebago County Courthouse in 1877

Mr. Hinchcliff is the current owner of 510 Indian Terrace, the former Goodyear Asa Sanford home built in 1847

Mr. Hinchcliff and his wife Mary Louise Hinchcliff bought the home and restored it after World War II

(The photo below was published in 1947; the historic home was demolished in 1951 and an apartment building for the elderly was erected on the site in 1968)

510 Indian Terrace in 1947, with owner Ralph Hinchcliff
510 Indian Terrace in 1947, with owner Ralph Hinchcliff

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 06/08/1947

 

510 Indian Terrace

510 Indian Terrace

House, owned by Ralph Hinchcliffe, was razed in 1951

The original house was built in 1847 by Goodyear Sanford

An Indian Mound was on the property when the house was built

An identical house was listed at 505 North Main Street

510 Indian Terrace Before Razing in 1951
510 Indian Terrace Before Razing in 1951

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 11/09/1951 and Rockford Public Library “Rockfordiana” files, “Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1”