Grand Army of the Republic, 5 posts

G.L.Nevins Post 124, of the Department of Illinois, organized Oct 1866, to preserve and strengthen fraternal feelings of soldiers, sailors and marines has a membership of about 250; they have expended over $5000 for relief of destitute soldiers. Meetings are held in the Grand Army Hall, corner W. State and Main Streets

Source: 1872 – 1873 City Directory

Sons of Union Veterans C.W. – Logan Camp

“Sons of Vets”

“There was a large turn out last evening at the anniversary of the John A. Logan Camp, No. 26, Sons of Veterans. One year ago, the camp was organized with a larger number of charter members than any other camp in the state.”

” He [Past Captain E. L. Nash] stated that the camp was organized Nov. 28, 1886, by Post Commander Lawler of the G.A.R., assisted by other comrades.”

“In 1881 the Sons of Veterans were organized and today there is a membership in the United States of 80,000.”

Source: Rockford Daily Gazette, December 9, 1886  page 4

Grand Army of the Republic – 1876


The G. L. Nevius Post, No. 124, of the department of Illinois, was organized in October, 1866. The post has distributed about nine thousand dollars since its organization. One comrade is detailed for each of the three districts, East, West and South Rockford, in order to ascertain and relieve all needy cases. Meetings for business are held first, second and third Mondays in each month, at the “Grand Army” hall, cor. W. State and Main Sts. Officers, T. G. Lawler, post commandant, J.B. Nash, S.V.C.; C. Q. Alley, adjutant; T. W. Cole, Q.M.; George W. Vestal, O.D., W.J. Murray, O.G.

Source: Brainerd’s Rockford City Directory for 1876 pp 28-29