Joseph A. “Joe” Morrissey – 1929 – 2018 obituary

Source:  Rockford Register Star 4/4/2018

North End Greenhouses – 1907

Source: 1907 McCoy’s City Directory for Rockford and Winnebago County

North End Greenhouses, Henry B Sullivan, proprietor; 1504 N Main St. opposite West Side Cemetery*  Source:  1907 McCoy’s Rockford Directory for Rockford and Winnebago County

  • The West Side Cemetery is currently known as Greenwood Cemetery

Seth Glanville Atwood, 2010 – Also Patricia Atwood Triner

Source:  Rockford Register Star 2/25/2010

Cemetery bordered by Cedar St. and [Winnebago] St. – 1844-1851

The 1844 – 1851? Plat Map of Rockford shows the Cemetery that was at Cedar St. (north side), Winnebago St. (today) on East Side, with train tracks running through the width West-East of the Cemetery.  As the city grew, and the number of trains increased, the land was needed for train tracks and the bodies buried were moved to The West Side Cemetery, now called Greenwood Cemetery.

The plat map is in archival mylar sleeve with flat paper maps.

Caskey, Joseph

“Joseph Caskey Dies at Age 88” Brother of Mrs. Winthrop Ingersoll died Sunday at No. Rockford Hospital. Born 10/31/1851 in Millsburg, Ohio. surviving: daughter and son, both in Hollywood, CA, 2 brothers, Herbert Caskey, Asheville, N.C., and Jason Caskey, Fairfax, Virginia, 2 nieces, Mrs. Robert Gaylord, Rockford, Mrs. Louis Brighthaupt,Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and 1 nephew, Paul Caskey, Rockford. Funeral: Second Congregational Church, burial, Greenwood Cemetery

Bradley and Bradley Architects – plus George Bradley obituary

First ad in newspaper as Wm. Bradley, Architect and Builder:  May 10, 1856, Rockford Weekly Register-Gazette

George Bradley served an apprenticeship at Architect and Builder in Boston, MA in 1850. Source: Death article, January 14, 1898, Rockford Daily Register-Gazette  George Bradley came to Rockford in 1855 according to same article, and constructed over 1000 buildings in Rockford by the time of his death in 1898.  His business was succeeded by his son, C.W. Bradley, who had been associated with him in architectural and construction work for 14 years.

Built 7 public schools, Wallach’s Block, Stewart Building, First Lutheran Church, First Congregational Church, Tinker Swiss Cottage, and T.D. Robertson residence.  Source: Rockford Daily Register-Gazette, Jan. 14, 1898.

Burial in West Side Cemetery (name changed to Greenwood Cemetery).

Source: Rockford Daily Register-Gazette January 14, 1898

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eldridge Gilbert (Reverend) – 1991 obituary plus article

Source:  Rockford Register Star 2 -1 – 1991

 

 

 

John W. Williams – 1996 First African-American Deputy Sheriff

williams-1

williams-2

Source:  Rockford Register Star April 10, 1996