Source of photo: Jeff Aulik, 2016
House built in 1927 for realtor/land developer E. C. Stokberger. Prior to 1927, Harlem (Amusement) Park was on the property, both sides of Harlem north of Auburn St. Architects Eliel and Eliel.
In 1926, a last ditch attempt was made to find a private investor to buy the park and give it to Rockford Park District after they turned down the purchase. The Golf Course belonged to Rockford Country Club, which was described as a Park.
Source: Rockford Daily Republic May 12, 1926
Source: 1902 Rockford Illinois, p 57
The Chautauqua was located at Harlem [Amusement] Park
Harlem Park (Amusement) closed in Sept 1928
Source: 1928 Rockford City Directory
Source: Rockford Daily Register-Gazette August 26, 1927
“Water Front at Love’s Park”
Source: “Rockford 1917” R017.7331 R682r 1917
Malcolm A. Love bought land in 1901 on the east bank of the Rock River, north of what is now the Auburn St. Bridge.
The map below is from the 1905 Winnebago County Atlas.
The land outlined in pink was the land purchase by Malcolm A. Love from Frances A. Weldon (farm). The area at the southern tip was called “Love’s Park” and was vaguely across the Rock River from Harlem Amusement Park.
The blue line indicates the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad tracks. The vertical lines in approximately the center between the Eddy property (Village Green in 2015) and the Willoughby Property (Willoughby Ave.; Pino’s Restaurant in 2015) is North Main St.
Source: 1892 Winnebago County Atlas.
Source: Republic 5/20/1911
“This stupendous, magnificent dancing pavilion will absolutely be ready for the opening next Saturday. A large force of men are hard at work rushing it to completion.”
“This is the largest open air dancing pavilion to be found in this part of the country outside of Chicago. The building is 60 feet wide by 104 feet long, and has been erected at a cost of no less than $5,000.”
Source: 1892 Winnebago County Atlas
Harlem Amusement Park was located at Harlem Blvd., immediately north of Auburn St., to approximately 5 blocks north and east to river.
In 1891 the Switchback Railway was new and sold 36,000 – 5 cent tickets in the first 6 weeks the park was open for the season.
Source: “Harlem Park; The People and The Times” researched and written by Lyle Baie, 1987. Copies can be read in the Local History and Genealogy Room of Rockford Public Library.
“Photographic giant Eastman-Kodak’s Real-Photo postcard technology proved a popular addition to the amusement offerings at Harlem [Amusement] Park, where patrons could pose for commemorative Real-Photo novelty postcards in the park’s photo studio against a variety of backdrops, including the steamship Rockford and a Wild West “saloon” seen here. (Saloon card courtesy of Midway Village and Museum Center,)
Source: Rockford 1900 – World War I by Eric A Johnson, Arcadia Press, Copyright 2003, p112
Harlem Amusement Park Circle Swing
Undated, unsourced photograph
Source: “Rockford Rocked” from www.Facebook.com