Ziock, William, Jr.

William Ziock Jr.

Source: Rockford Register Republic 2/11/1957 & 2/12/1957

“A 1946 Interview with William H. Ziock, Jr.” by Hazel M. Hyde.  President of Ziock Industries 1905 – (1946) interview was followed by a trip through the plant at 418 So Wyman St. Mr. W.H. Ziock Sr. had a woolen mill that furnished yarn for Rockford Mitten Co. the woolen mill was in St. Charles, Missouri the 2 companies merged in 1855, Ziock and crew came to Rockford name was changed to Rockford Mitten and Hosiery in 1885 W.H. Ziock, Sr became president of Rockford Mitten and Hosiery. W H Ziock Jr. became president after his father died in 1905. Organized Ziock Industries somewhat later. Founded B-Z-B Knitting in 1910. Founded B-Z-B Knitting in 1910. Ziock Paper Box Co. and King Co. were both located at 417 S Wyman St. Jr was also responsible for the construction of William Ziock Building. William Jr. was born Nov 1863 in St Louis to Elizabeth & William Ziock. He married Lulu Mackwitz in St Louis, 4 children. Junior’s patent was granted in Canada (#287326) At the time of dissolution there were 3 subsidiaries: Beloit Hosiery (Seneca Falls, NY), Tenn-Rock Hosiery (McMinnville, TN) and Manchester Mills (Machester, TN)

Source:  “A 1946 Interview with William H. Ziock, Jr.”  Nuggets of History Nov.-Dec 1968 & www.ziock.org

St. Mary’s Church

St. Mary's Church

“St. Mary’s Catholic Church” by Hazel M. Hyde. One of the oldest churches in Rockford, dates from 1885. Father Edward Murphy came to Rockford to assist Father James Flaherty of St. James. Archbishop sent Fr. Murphy to organize a church on west side of river. Property on the corner of Winnebago and Elm St. was purchased. Mass was celebrated In a hall for 6 months while church was built. First mass was held in basement of church Dec 6, 1885. Cornerstone was laid by Archbishop Feehan July 11, 1886 and the  church was completed in 1887. Father Michael McLaughlin succeeded Father Murphy who was recalled to Chicago. The second pastor died Apr. 20, 1892. The third pastor was Father Patrick McMahon, who arrived in May 1892. McMahon pastorate lasted 27 years. Property adjoining St. Mary’s was purchased, school McMahon pastorate lasted 27 years. Property adjoining St. Mary’s was purchased, school built, new rectory built, new convent became available for the sisters. Debt of $30,000  was liquidated. Father McMahon died April 14, 1919. An army chaplain, Father John Whelan, was appointed July 25, 1925 Father Joseph Lonergan succeeded Whelan. Lonergan’s accomplishments included building of the Lourdes Grotto and The Shrine of the Little Flower. In 1929 Monsignor John McGuire became pastor. Transferred to St James in 1933 Bishop Hoban, the 2nd Bishop of Rockford, was appointed Feb. 10, 1928 Bishop Hoban served until November, 1942. Bishop Hoban placed St. Mary’s Church and St. Thomas High School in the charge of  Augustinian Fathers. The church was redecorated in 1942 under Rev. Father John McGrath, O.S.A. Next was Father William Fink, July 1947- July 1949. for the next three years the pastor was Father Charles D. Clark, O.S.A.

Source: Nuggets of History, Autumn 1988

St. Mary's Church

Source: artist: Frank Fiorello Rockford Morning Star 8/17/1985

St. Mary's Church

Source: artist: Frank Fiorello Rockford Morning Star 8/17/1985

1961 – 1968 Father A.J. Tierney

Source:  Nuggets of History, Autumn 1988

Winnebago Center for the Blind – 1983 article and pictures

Center for the Blinds -0

Center for the Blind-1

Source of all pages: Nuggets of History, Winter 1982-83, Vol. 20, No. 1

Center for the blind - 3


Center for the Blind - 5

Center for the Blind - 6

Source of all pages: Nuggets of History, Winter 1982-83, Vol. 20, No. 1




St. Anthony Church

St. Anthony of Padua Parish, 100 years Centennial Celebration 1909-2009, Oct 18, 2008, Giovanni’s Restaurant

Source: unknown

Rev. Maurice J. Bora, Pastor, Res. Anastasius Kuzdral, Rev Ireneus Zmudzki, Rev Rev Edwin Banach

Source: 1950 City Directory
St. Anthony's Church

Source: St. Anthonty of Padua Church cover of The Antonian  R 282.77331 A635d 1909 – 1984

“St. Anthony Parish, Rockford Deanery” by Hazel M. Hyde

Meeting of the Italian congregation in St. James Apr. 12, 1909 Father Marchesano explained to 250 Italian families the reasons for an Italian parish by 1976 there were more than 1,000 Italian families in St. Anthony’s parish St. Anthony church and rectory were completed in 1910. 1910: was a one story church on Ferguson St. second story began in 1915 and was used as a school. need for a serarate building led to erection of a hall in 1919 next to the church 1929: gymnasium was completed On Aug. 18, 1930, new church was dedicated by Bishop Hogan

St. Anthony's Church

Source: Nuggets of History, Spring, 1988

St. Anthony's Church

Source: Northwest Quarterly  Winter 2008-2009 p208