Source: Sesquicentennial Calendar
Hiram R. Maynard built circa 1840 a one-story frame house on this corner.
The house was later used as a school house.
The schoolhouse was occupied as an Academy by C. Huntington.
This original building was moved to 216 S. Main and became Paddy Doyle’s Blacksmith Shop.
Second Congregational Church was organized here in 1848.
Source: Rockfordiana – Historic Houses and Landmarks, v. 1; Rockford Register-Gazette, Sept 9/25