“Terror from the Depths” – Kathi Kresol

terror-1

terror-2

Source: The Rock River Times, October 19-25,2016, Vol. 24 No. 1

 

“Swedish Clubs Expect 600 at Annual Outing” – 1933

swedish

Source:  Rockford Daily Journal July 22, 1933

Donated by Jef Benedetti

Rockford Township N E , Farm Plat Book – 1957

Rockford Twonship N ESource:  Farm Plat Book, Winnebago County Illinois, 1957

 

Cherry Valley Township – 1957 Plat Map, Winnebago County

Cherry V T

Source:  Farm Plat Book, 1957; Winnebago County, Illinois;   Sponsored by Union Grange No. 811, Inc.

 

Black Hawk War, The – Thomas S. Johnson

Black Hawk War

Black Hawk War 2

Story continues. Issues of Nuggets of History are available to Rockford Public Library’s Local History Dept.

Source:  Nuggets of History, Vol. 45, No. 4, December 2007

Camp Almond – 1906

Camp Almond

Source of article above:  Rockford Republic 5/7/1906 p 5 col 3

Camp Almond - 2

Source of article above: Rockford Morning Star 5/6/1906   page 6 col 7

Camp Almond - 3

Source of article above: Rockford Morning Star 7/17/1906

 

 

 

Seth B. Atwood

Seth B. Atwood

Was Park Commissioner for 32 years

Donated 322 acres along the Kishwaukee River for a park in his name

Donated family homestead to County for a golf course

 

Source:  “Rockford Big Town / Little City”  977.331  C973r, Rockford Public Library

Winnebago County – Cartographic Map

RUW Cat Map

portion of Cartographic Map of Winnebago County, produced by The Legislative Study Group, Rockford Branch, of American Association of University Women

The portion shown shows the Rock River rising in a vertical line, and the Kishwaukee River veering toward the right, in a sometimes horizontal direction.  At  the bottom is Camp Grant, and at the top, Camp Fuller, which was located in the Harlem Blvd./Camp Ave./Guard St. neighborhood.  An Indian, shown “above” Camp Grant identifies Indian Ancestral Mounds. A drawing of a lady in bustle holding an umbrella shows the site of Rockford Female Seminary, which became what is now Rockford University. John Brown, of Harper’s Ferry, is shown driving cattle across the Rock River. Little cabins show a small settlement called “Rib Town” located at south end of Kishwaukee St., and a grain mill shows the location of the New Mill Ford, which became New Milford.

 

This map and many other maps and atlases are located in the Local History Room of Rockford Public Library.