Sources: Photo: Photo Gravere Views, 1893; Map: Sanborn Atlas, 1913-1928 [Note that North Street is later Park Ave.]; Article: “Lincoln School Third Hospital,” Rockford Daily Register-Gazette, October 11, 1918, p.5. In October, 1918, it was one of three emergency hospitals during the Spanish flu pandemic, along with the Boys’ Club and the Knights of Columbus building on N. Main St. Lincoln was renamed Benjamin Franklin School in 1926, when Abraham Lincoln Middle School was built on Charles Street.
Sgt. J.F. Bold (Ambulance Company 344 -311th Sanitation Train), a Rockford resident, details his activities in WWI in an unusual 55 page typed diary, from august 24,1918 (Camp Grant IL) to his discharge on January 31, 1919.
Rockford Public Library Local History Archives – Military Collection