Clinton Place, 2215 – Barloga, 1925 Design

Clinton Pl.,  2215 - 2

2215 Clinton Place, designed by Architect Jesse A. Barloga, 1925

Source of photographs: Jan Carter, July 2011

Clinton Pl., 2215 - 1

Original owner: Omer S. and Mae Smith, 2nd vice-president Smith Oil and Refining Co., resides 2215 Clinton Place

Source of text (above): 1927 Rockford City Directory

Current owner (2014): J. BeBruyne

National Ave., 1718

 

National Ave. 1718 - 1

Architect: Jesse A. Barloga, 1929    Photograph courtesy of Marty Mangas, Barloga historian, photo ca. 1970.

Barloga Commission #315, Commissioned by C.G. and M. Jane Smith.

Original residents: Mrs. M. Jane Smith until 1937, and son Carl A. Smith until his death in August, 1967.

“Carl A. Smith, 81, 1718 National Ave., active in Rockford’s business, civic and cultural life for more than half a century, died at Rockford Memorial Hospital at 1:30 p.m. today after a short illness.  In 1917 he joined the family oil business. It had been founded by his father, C.G. Smith and his brother, Ernest.

Mr. Smith was active in establishing the Rockford School of Hope, now the Barbara Olson School of Hope. He also was a member of Rockford Country Club, the YMCA, Rockford Elks Club, and a life member of the Union League Club of Chicago.

Survivors include his widow, Mae, of Laguna Hills; a daughter, Mrs James Welsh, Rolling Hills Estates, California…..”

Source: Rockford Morning Star August 25, 1967

National Ave., 1718 - 2

Photograph of house, Summer 2011, Jan Carter

In 1968 the residents were Jack and Phyllis Deveau. Mr. Deveau was vice-president of Williams-Manny Insurance Co.

Source: 1968 Polk’s Rockford City Directory