The Kathryn Apartments, 204 S. 6th Street

Sources: The Rockford Daily Republic, February 24, 1928 and Google.com/maps Image captured May 2019

Rockford City Hall – 1941 photo

Source:  Rockford Streamlined, 1834 – 1941, page 81

Between the rounded top of the center door on first floor and the 3 windows above that, you can see the whiter carved-in-cement letters of Manufacturers National Bank.

The Robert Borden photograph from the Rockford Historical Society Robert Borden Collection below, was taken in 1976 and shows the black raised letters spelling out Rockford City Hall went up over the carved Manufacturers National Bank as a temporary solution to identifying the building.

***See the parking meters?

In August of 1993, City Hall’s sign was replaced with one that was carved-in-concrete.

 

Manufacturer’s National Bank, 1920 – later became Rockford City Hall

Source: The City of Rockford and Her Men of Affairs, by Daly, 1920

Manufacturer’s National Bank, N F Thompson, pres; Aug P Floberg, H A Taylor, v-pres; A R Floberg, cashier; H A Conklin, Asst Cashier; E State cor S 2nd St.     Source: McCoy’s Rockford City Directory for 1926

 

Peterson & Johnson – 1926

peterson-johnson

Source: McCoy’s Rockford City Directory for 1926

Peterson & Johnson, Edward A Peterson, Gilbert A Johnson, owners; architects, 406 Swedish-American Bank Building, 501 – 503 7th St.  Source: McCoy”s Rockford City Directory for 1926

Manufacturer’s National Bank building became Rockford City Hall

Swedish-American Bank Building became American Bank Building, became AmCore Bank Building, became BMO Harris Bank Building became owned by the Rockford Board of Education.

Security National Bank was at 1102 Broadway St.  In 2016 Crusader Clinic is in that address.

Reliance Building, 424 – 428  7th St.

 

 

Main St., North, 831 – A. Ruhl residence

Main St., No., 831

Residence of Antes S. Ruhl, 831 No. Main St.

Photo above, source: page 68, “1902 Rockford Illinois” book

Ruhl portrait

Source: ” Portrait photograph from “Descriptive and Picturesque History, City of Rockford, Winnebago County, Illinois ”

A.S. Ruhl, secretary and treasurer Nelson Knitting Co., president Rockford Clothing Co., vice-president Manufacturer’s National Bank, resides 831 No. Main St.  Source:  1899 Rockford City Directory  Arthur B. Ruhl, student, resides 831 N. Main St., and Robert W. Ruhl, student, resides 831 N. Main St., also in 1899 Rockford City Directory.

Miss Helen Cogshall, student, boards 831 N Main St. and Miss Matilda Johnson, domestic servant, resides 831 N. Main St., also listed in 1899 Rockford City Directory

Antes S. Ruhl, wife Nellie B., secretary and treasurer Nelson Knitting Co. and president H C Marsh Co., resides 831 No. Main St.   Source: 1909 Rockford City Directory

In 1973, Skyrise Apts. were at 831 No. Main St.  Building costruction of Skyrise had started by Fall of 1971.

The Ruhl house was razed approx. 1970-71.

Main St., Burpee to 831

The lowest yellowest and turquoise building on the page is the Park District-owned building at 813 No. Main St. a Burpee Museum of Natural History.

The all yellow house (below the pink house) was 831 No. Main St., the Antes S. Ruhl House.

Map source: 1928 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.

 

 

 

 

 

 

John Erlander

John Erlander

Born near Slattog, Kronobergs Lan, Smaland, Sweden

His last name was Jonsson until they changed it to Erlander

He was a tailor by trade, learned to operate a sewing machine in Chicago

Opened ship on East State Street “Erlander and Johnson”

Erlander’s brother-in-law started Union Furniture Company in 1876; John Erlander was elected President

John Erlander
John Erlander

He served on the Board of Excelsior Furniture Company

He served on the Board of Central Furniture Company

He served on the Board of Rockford Brick Company

Organized Swedish Mutual Fire Insurance Company

Stockholder in Manufacturers National Bank

Erlander Home
Erlander Home

 

Source: www.swedishhistorical.org/johnerlander

Arthur R. Floberg

Arthur R. Floberg

President of Rockford Park District Board since 1927

Former President of Manufacturers National Bank

Member of Rockford Country Club for 15 years

For ten years he was the director of the campaign for Louis L. Ammerson for Governor of Illinois

Former member of the Winnebago County Board of Surveyors

Member of Trinity Lutheran Church

Son of Swedish settlers

Born in Rockford May 23, 1884

Father: Arthur F. Floberg

Grandfather: August P. Floberg

Survived by his wife, Mrs. Mildred Floberg, whom he married in 1907

Survived by two sisters: Frances and Mamie, and a brother, Fred A. Floberg, all of Rockford

Death of Arthur R. Floberg, 1931
Death of Arthur R. Floberg, 1931

 

Source: Rockford Register Republic, 08/28/1931