Civil War substitutes

Rockford Register, September 3, 1864, p.3 (Rockford Weekly Register-Gazette)

Rockford public library – 1962 article

Source:  Rockford Morning Star and Rockford Register-Republic “Century Plus 10” Special Edition, March 1962

***This library was by subscription annually, and was not a tax-supported city library.

Rockford Public Library

Twenty-sixth St., 2404The Rockford Public Library and Reading Rooms were organized June 24, 1872, since which time the boon has been greatly appreciated and much good done.  It is open from 9 A.M. to 12:45 p.m., 2 to 5:45 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m., during which hours the public have free access to peruse any of the six thousand five hundred volumes of standard works which it contains, as well as innumerable newspapers and periodicals. The rooms are tastefully fitted up with a view to comfort and convenience. Officers, N.C. Thompson, pres., Rev. Frank P. Woodbury, vice pres. Elias Cooper, sec’y and treas., W.L. Rowland, librarian, Miss Lizzie J. Williamson, assistant librarian. Located over 303 W. State street. Board of Directors: R.F. Crawford, N.C. Thompson, C.L. Williams, pres., Dr. A. E. Goodwin, vice pres.; Dr.  A.L. McArthur, W.A. Talcott, Elias Cosper, Sec’y and treas., J. Herva Jones, Hosmer P. Holland. The delivery of books for home use closes at 8 p.m.

Source: Brainerd’s Rockford City Directory for 1876, p 26.