“A New Chapter for Stronghold Castle,” Northwest Quarterly, Cabin Fever, 2019, vol. 16, no.1. William A. Strong, publisher of the Chicago Daily News, purchased 360 acres and built Stronghold Castle in 1928-1929. Mr. Strong died in May 1931. In 1962, after Mrs. Strong died, the Presbytery of Blackhawk of PC (USA) bought the property. The murals in the castle were painted by Russian artist Nicholas Kaissakoff. One of the most popular events is the Olde English Faire, held the first full weekend in October.
Source: Northwestern Lines magazine; the Official Publication of the Chicago and North Western Historical Society; 2017, No. 1
The cover photo, attributed to Jerry Pyfer, taken on May 6, 1988. shows a Chicago and North Western passenger train on No. Madison St. on the Kenosha Division (KD) Line. The Prairie St. Brewhouse Building and the Rockford News Tower can be seen at photo top, center. This is the first of three issues featuring C & NW in Rockford.