Lincoln School, later Franklin School (1926), 405 N. Court Street, opened 1892, closed 1971, demolished 1976

Sources: Photo: Photo Gravere Views, 1893; Map: Sanborn Atlas, 1913-1928 [Note that North Street is later Park Ave.]; Article: “Lincoln School Third Hospital,” Rockford Daily Register-Gazette, October 11, 1918, p.5. In October, 1918, it was one of three emergency hospitals during the Spanish flu pandemic, along with the Boys’ Club and the Knights of Columbus building on N. Main St. Lincoln was renamed Benjamin Franklin School in 1926, when Abraham Lincoln Middle School was built on Charles Street.


Veterans Who Have Passed–Thomas Donald Cancelose


Source:  Rockford Register Star, June 24, 2020.

Spanish Flu October 11, 1918

Source: Rockford Morning Star   October 11, 1918

East High School, 1943 Annual

east h s 1943

Source: Rockford East High School 1943 Annual

Wartime subjects, such as preflight aeronautics, defense mathematics and accelerated typing and shorthand made an unprecedented appearance in the list of courses offered.

The war stamp, Red Cross and metal scrap drives were almost continuous.

East High dedicated its first service flag to all East high students who have gone into service of their country.

East h g dedication


Dorothy Shumway

Dorothy “Dodie” Rudat Shumway

Spouse: Lloyd S. Shumway

Captain of Red Cross Motor Corps under Chairman Ralph Rosecrance of the Winnebago County Chapter of the American Red Cross

Son Corporal Scott Shumway of Marine Air Corps

Works with Infantile Paralysis (Polio) victims, headquartered at the Faust Hotel

Resides at 1055 Harlem Boulevard

Dorothy "Dodie" Shumway, 1945
Dorothy “Dodie” Shumway, 1945


Source:  Rockford Register Star, 08/26/1945