Rockford Hospital

Began 1885 see also Fitch, Dr. W.H. City’s first private hospital. Corner of So. Court and Chestnut St.

Source: Rockford Big Town/Little City 977.331 C973r

Under ownership of the Rockford Hospital Association, 262 individuals in Rockford Hospital Associations 1887 – larger building needed. March of 1888 second building was dedicated at a cost of $15,000. Second building accommodated 30 beds 2nd building 3 story brick, connected by hall to old building original building living rooms for matron and nurses after 3/1888. Elevator donated in March 1988 by Horatio Stone cost of $1500. First operating room funded by Mrs. Ralph Emerson donation after son’s death run on subscriptions and collections. The original nurses: Lizzie Glenn, Melanie Caillat, Sofie Carlson, Myrtle Miles, Elizabeth Edstrom, Mrs. Johanna St. Clair, Louisa Ray and E. Tillich

Source: Rockfordiana Hospitals – Rockford Memorial – 1 & Rockford Daily Register Gazette 1/1/1891

1904 – new hospital on site of original hospital 1903 building cost $50,000 aka “City Hospital”

Source: Rockford Morning Star 7/15/28

City Hospital

Source: 1902 Rockford Illinois Press of Horner Printing Co. Some Half-Tones of the Forest City in Fotografs
by O.H. Wheat, Church St., Rockford, Illinois small 5 x 7″ booklet

City Hospital

Source: photo, p 24 Rockford 1917 R 917.7331 R682r 1917  507 Chestnut St.

Rockford Hospital Nurses Home

Source: Rockford Hospital Nurses Home p 24 Rockford 1917 R 917.7331 R 682r 1917

 

 

 

Love’s Park – 1917

Love's Park 2

“Water Front at Love’s Park”

Source: “Rockford 1917” R017.7331 R682r 1917

Malcolm A. Love bought land in 1901 on the east bank of the Rock River, north of what is now the Auburn St. Bridge.

The map below is from the 1905 Winnebago County Atlas.

Love's Park map

The land outlined in pink was the land purchase by Malcolm A. Love from Frances A. Weldon (farm).  The area at the southern tip was called “Love’s Park” and was vaguely across the Rock River from Harlem Amusement Park.

The blue line indicates the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad tracks. The vertical lines in approximately the center between the Eddy property (Village Green in 2015) and the Willoughby Property (Willoughby Ave.; Pino’s Restaurant in 2015) is North Main St.

Source: 1892 Winnebago County Atlas.

Franklin Place, 1019 – Roper House

Franklin Pl, 1019 - 1

Built before 1912 for George D. Roper and wife Kate B., who president of Eclipse Gas Stove Co.

(Rockford Township Assessor says built in 1904)

The picture above is from the book “Rockford 1917”

Franklin Place, 1019 - Koch

same house, in 2011, now 3-family apartments, owned by Carol Diane Koch, according to www.rockfordtownshipassessor.net .

Photo source: Jan Carter. 2011