Rockford Elks’ Club, 210 W. Jefferson Street, opened 1912. Architect: Chicagoan Lawrence E. Buck. Note green tiles.

 

 

 

Sources: Google Image captured May 2019, Rockford Republic, January 24, 1912.

St. Thomas Catholic High School – 1923 Thomist Sponsor Ads (1 page)

1923 St T ads

Source:  St. Thomas Catholic High School, 1923 Thomist Yearbook Sponsor Ads (1 page)

Ghost – Between Walnut & State Streets

Ghosts

“What Mystery Lies Hidden In Grave At City’s Heart?”

Lone grave on the East bank of the Rock River between Walnut and State Streets

It had a boulder for a marker

Marked “S T M12 1883”

Found when two old houses were torn down

Daniel Shoudy found graves in the basement of one of the houses next to Rockford Steam Boiler Works

One headstone read: “Lewis L, Son of G. W. and M. Hodgson, Born May 2, 1850, Died September 20, 1851”

The other headstone read: “Clarinda, Wife of J. Marks, Died December 13, 1845, Aged 45 years”

 

Source:  Rockford Register Republic, 07/21/1922