Rockford Garden Club, 1985 – 1986 – Programs

Source: Rockford Garden Club 1985-1986 Booklet of Membership, Program, Prpjects

Winnebago (Town of)

first settler, Daniel Adams Holt,1836 second and third settlers were Holt’s brothers. Original Holt House at Severson Dells. Town original named Westfield, then in 1849, Elida, then in 1855, Winnebago

Source: Winnebago Sesquicentennial 1854-2004 R 977.331 W776

Winnebago and Boone City Atlas – 1871, 1886 and 1892; older 2 include buildings and footprint of the house ( Holt House) useful in locating building built in the 19th century

Source: Illustrated atlas of Winnebago and Boone counties, Illinois : containing maps of every township in counties, with village and city plats, also maps of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois / compiled from late and authentic sources, together with other valuable information. R 912.773 P14

Holt House

Located at Severson Dells     Oldest Winnebago township     Located on Montague Road

Built in 1840, still used as a residence    2-story house, original had cupola;

Stone used from quarry on property;    Walls approximately 18″ thick;

Porch added to back since;   Outside steps removed;    Bathroom installed inside the house

Dedicated by DAR “last Friday”

Source: Rockford Register Star  9/17/1981

 

Severson, Fannie B.

Severson, Fannie B - legacy

widow of Harry A. Severson, who was president and chairman of the board of Barber-Colman Co.

executive director of the Red Cross at Camp Grant, WWI

active in Rockford Woman’s Club, Rockford Children’s Home, served on YWCA board, active at Second Congregational Church, and Rockford Hospital Auxilliary.

With her husband donated lecture hall in old Rockford College building and Severson Auditorium on new Rockford College campus

“Last March, she donated her 370-acre property, Deer Lodge, to the Winnebago County Forest Preserve.”

Source: Rockford Register Republic January 21, 1976