“Community Chest Organized in 1919” – 1962 article

Source:  Rockford Morning Star and Rockford Register-Republic “Century Plus 10” Special Edition, March 1962

Smith Oil and Refining Co. – 1950

Smith Oikl and Refining 50

Source: 1950 Polk’s Rockford City Directory

National Ave., 1718

 

National Ave. 1718 - 1

Architect: Jesse A. Barloga, 1929    Photograph courtesy of Marty Mangas, Barloga historian, photo ca. 1970.

Barloga Commission #315, Commissioned by C.G. and M. Jane Smith.

Original residents: Mrs. M. Jane Smith until 1937, and son Carl A. Smith until his death in August, 1967.

“Carl A. Smith, 81, 1718 National Ave., active in Rockford’s business, civic and cultural life for more than half a century, died at Rockford Memorial Hospital at 1:30 p.m. today after a short illness.  In 1917 he joined the family oil business. It had been founded by his father, C.G. Smith and his brother, Ernest.

Mr. Smith was active in establishing the Rockford School of Hope, now the Barbara Olson School of Hope. He also was a member of Rockford Country Club, the YMCA, Rockford Elks Club, and a life member of the Union League Club of Chicago.

Survivors include his widow, Mae, of Laguna Hills; a daughter, Mrs James Welsh, Rolling Hills Estates, California…..”

Source: Rockford Morning Star August 25, 1967

National Ave., 1718 - 2

Photograph of house, Summer 2011, Jan Carter

In 1968 the residents were Jack and Phyllis Deveau. Mr. Deveau was vice-president of Williams-Manny Insurance Co.

Source: 1968 Polk’s Rockford City Directory

Main St., No., 303

Gas and Electric Building built at this address in 1935.

“Catlin Rites Today” says Gas and Electric Building was built on the site of the Richings homestead.

Mrs. Catlin’s maiden name was Richings.

pre-1935 Smith Oil and Refining Co. owned Smith’s Gasoline, Oiling and Greasing Station.

Photo of the station in article, printed by Rockford Labor News 5/2/1075

Article is in Rockfordiana: Historic Houses and Landmarks – 3, p 43, on back side.