Atlas of the City of Rockford and Vicinity – 1917, Th. L. Leon de Tissandier

Atlas of the City of Rockford and Vicinity – 1917, Th. L. Leon de Tissandier

Tiss - 1

Tiss - 2

Tiss - 3 Chicago Ave

Rural St. and Chicago Ave. are shown. This atlas is more colorful that most atlases: the colors show the separation between subdivisions. In this case Lett’s and Bennett’s Subdivision is shown in coral, and Highland park Subdivision is shown in blue. Individual plots are indicated by lines and number of the plot, and they do not indicated who owns the plot, as some other atlases do.

Tiss - 4 Scanndinaviann

 

Guilford Rd. is at the lower edge of the green area. Scandinavian Cemetery is shown, individual plots are not shown, or an area of plots not indicted on this map. The roads through the cemetery are indicated and also a block of undeveloped cemetery property, Sinnissippi Park and part of Sinnissippi Golf Course.

Tiss - 5 Sand and Gravel

Some manufacturer’s properties are indicated. In the atlas section above, the green are is Black Hawk Park, The white areas are property owned by Lathrop and undeveloped property owned by Rockford Malleable Iron Works. The blue area is Rockford Sand and Gravel Subdivision. The brown are is Schmauss [Meat] Packing Plant.  Occasionally “surprises” show up. An example is the original stadium for Rockford High School, a.k.a. “Central.”

 

Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad – 1917

Chicago Milwukee

Grayish-blue color is the North Branch of the Kent Creek

Olive-y green is the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad.

North-South Streets are Lee St. and Kilburn Ave.

East West St. is Bruce St.

Source:  Th. L. Leon de Tissandier’s 1917 Atlas of the City of Rockford and Vicinity

 

Rockford High School Athletic Field

R High School Athletic Field V

The first known High School Athletic Field/Football Field was called Rockford High School Athletic Field and on occasion, “Old Kishwaukee Athletic Field, and was bordered by Kishwaukee St.,  Tenth Ave., So. Fifth St. and Sand Ave. It was sold in  1923 and 1928 and subscriptions sold to build the new stadium on Fifteenth Ave. which came to be called Beyer Stadium.

Source: Th. L. Leon de Tissandier’s “Atlas of the City of Rockford and Vicinity, Winnebago County, Illinois,” 1917.  De Tissandier was a civil engineer for the City of Rockford.

Source 1923 sale date: “Board Buys Kishwaukee Baseball Park; Stadium to seat 25,000 in Prospect” Rockford Morning Star 12/11/1923, School Board Meeting summary: “Kishwaukee Athlletic park purchased for $37,000 from Rockford Fans’ Association. May build stadium to seat 25,000.”