Lowest 2 numbers border on Ridge Ave. farthest west block of Garfield was originally called Holmes St. and changed to Garfield later than 1917 Holmes St. was named for Reverend Mead Holmes who bought the land under Garfield and more from Thomas Garrison. Thomas Garrison presumably named Thomas St. Holmes St. changes its name to Garfield Ave. (the block west of Rockton) in ___________________
Reverend Mead Holmes bought some of Garrison’s land. Land was plotted by 1892 city directory, but access to city later and sale of plots was
held up by Mead’s death (1906) and contested will in court until at least Sept. 1909
Source: 1892 Rockford City Directory
In addition to being a Reverend, Holmes was also an alderman
A copy is also located in Rockfordiana: Historic Houses and Landmarks – 1
See upper left of this 1871 Winnebago County Atlas; area in yellow in Thomas Garrison’s property. Thomas (Garrison) St. was renamed Ridge Ave. The south end of his property would be 2 blocks south of Auburn St. today.
The property was first sold Thomas Garrison, namesake of Thomas Street, now called Ridge Ave.
The Garrison property was eventually subdivided. Part was sold to Rev. Mead Holmes in 1881. Garfield Ave. is the main street in this subdivision although it includes part of Garrison Ave. and John St. on the east end of property and a block that includes Holmes St. (west side of Rockton Ave.).
Source of text about Holmes house: Rockford Daily Gazette, Dec. 6, 1882 p. 3