720 No. Rockford Ave. – first occupied 1929

Rockford Ave. has had 3 names: until World War 1 it was Berlin Ave., and north of Rural St., it was called Daniel Ave..

The house was built during 1928.

Most recent sales were in March 1995, June 1996 and Oct. 2000.  The 2000 sale (to 2016) to E. Kirk, Lot 17, Block 006, Highland Heights Subdivision.

720 No. Rockford Ave,

Photo source: Jeff Aulik.

The first resident was Gustav Adolph Rupert Johnson, who was naturalized as a child, with his parents, who came to the United States in 1889.  He bought the house with his wife and they lived in this house until 1953. Rupert was a long time employee of Greenlee Bros.. He also was choir singer and soloist at Trinity Lutheran Church.  The musical programs, such as at holidays, were written up in the newspaper with a list of the songs performed.

The house was very likely a model home for the home and may have had a design sketch in the newspaper or a magazine. An architect, if there was a local one, might be listed on a building permit.

 

 

John Holub – 2016

John Holub_0001

Source: Rockford Register Star Feb. 4, 2016

William Jackson – 2016

William Jackson

Source:  Rockford Register Star 2/19/2016

Messiah Lutheran Church – parsonage 1930

Messiah parsonage

Source:  Rockford Daily Republic July 31, 1930

Shores, Horace H.

died Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 in OSF St. Anthony. Born Nov. 18, 1942 in Rockford, to Harold and Elsie Clara Marie Larson Shores ancestor Aaron Shores settled in Winnebago County shortly after Stephen Mack. Trinity Lutheran Church, 1960 graduate of West High School lifelong partner, Rosemary Owens, 3 children survive. Julian-Poorman-Welte Funeral  Home, Greenwood Cemetery

Source: Rockford Register Star 12/27/2009

Calvin Park Blvd., 531 – 2013

Calvin Park Blvd., 531

Source:  Rockford Register Star May 2013

The house was built in 1941.

From 1942 – 1971, the house was owned by Oscar M. Lindgren, and wife Sylvia M., he was the president and general manager of Illinois Cabinet Co. (who manufactured radio cabinets at 2525 11th St.) until he retired;   homeowner 531 Calvin Park Blvd.

Source:  1942 – 1962 Polk’s Rockford City Directory

In 1952 Lindgren bought the Huddler Estate, a 106-acre property fronting East State St. from Wilbur J. Hudler whose great-grandfather, John Braden, purchased it in 1873.  The transaction was handled by Attorney Ralph S. Zahm.  Source: “Hudler Estate Sold; Near Site of New School”  Rockford Morning Star 11/22/1953.

Hudler Property  horizontal line (street) near top is East State St.. Diagonal line (street) closer to botton of map section is Charles St. Streets left of Hudler property are Hunter Ave., then Hollister Ave.  SW end of Hudler property is location of Rockford Plaza Shopping Center.  Map is from the 1892 Atlas of Winnebago County. Lindgren bought the Hudler property.

“Aldermen See Project Site”  Rockford Morning Star 4/18/1954 “….council approval of Martin Hawkinson’s $4,500,000 building development on E. State St.”  “Under Saturday’s arrangements, Arms said, a covenant could be set up under which the land would not be used for construction unless other flood control measures are taken. Oscar M. Lindgren’s property is also subject to signing the covenant.”

Oscar M. Lindgren, died April 8, 1971 in St. Anthony Hospital. Born Jan. 25, 1901 in Sweden. Lived 64 years in Rockford. Member Trinity Lutheran Church and Forest Hills Country Club, president of Illinois Cabinet Co., which later became the General Electric Cabinet Co.  Burial in Scandinavian Cemetery.    Source: Rockford Register Republic 4/9/1971.

 

 

 

Messiah Lutheran Church 75th Anniversary

Will celebrate 75th anniversary in 2000.  Photo by Brad Burt, RRStar.Messiah Lutheran Church of Rockford

RRStar, November, 1988