Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War – 2016 event

suvcw

Source:  Veterans Memorial Hall promotional “poster”

Main St., North, 1501

1501 N. Main St.

Source: Rockford Register Star 9/2/2011

West Side Cemetery (Greenwood)

Source: 1914 Rockford City Directory

1501 N. Main St.

Source: http://maps.google.com/streetview 2010

Tuskegee Airmen – 2016

Tuskegee Airmen - 1

Source: Rockford Register Star Feb. 21, 2016

Tuskegee Airmen - 2

Source: Rockford Register Star Feb. 21, 2016

Tuskegee Airmen - 3

 

Stroll on State – Nov. 28, 2015

Stroll on State

Source: flier insert, Rockford Register-Star newspaper  11/25/2015

1120 Harlem Boulevard

1120 Harlem Boulevard

Thomas Winchester, prominent stonecutter, died at home 08/12/1933

Born in Wooler, Northumberland County, England on 10/14/1846

Came to Pecatonica in 1857

Married to Esther Corwin 12/29/1870 in Pecatonica

Survived by son Thomas R. Winchester of Lincoln, IL, and three daughters: Mrs. John R. Tole and Mrs. William M. (Mabel) McIntosh of Rockford, and Mrs. Harry O. Tear of Oalina, IL

He was preceded in death by his daughter, Mrs. Edith Pitney; a brother, John Winchester of Pecatonica; and two sisters: Mrs. Nellie Blowfield and Mrs. Anne Whitmeyer of Rockford

Mr. Winchester built the P. R. Walker School and the Masonic Temple, completed City Hall, and provided the stonework for Memorial Hall and the Library

The Reverend O. Garfield Backstrand of Trinity Lutheran Church will officiate, with burial in Forest View Abbey

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 08/15/1933

Downtown Rockford

View from Rockford Trust Building, 11th Floor,  2/3/2015, tweeted by Lauren Kravets, Channel 23 WIFR, in a story about conversion of the 11th Floor into apartments:

Trust Building view

Veteran’s Memorial Hall near Center of photograph, library at photo right of Veteran’s Memorial Hall Parking Lot, N. Main street on left hand side of photograph, N. Wyman St. along right hand side of photograph.

Source WIFR23, Twitter.com

Main St., No., east side of 100 and 200 block

Church of Christian use

Source: Photograph from “Rockford Rocked” on www.facebook.com of the 100 and 200 block of No. Main St., not dated

The 200 Block includes the Church of the Christian Union and Memorial Hall. It also includes the Rockford Public Library. The library and Memorial Hall were not built and opened until 1903; this picture is later than 1903.