Dr. William H. Fitch, wife Katherine, physician and surgeon, office 304-305 Masonic Temple res. 849 N. Main
Source: 1909 Rockford City Directory
built 1904, Georgian architecture home of late Dr. W.H. Fitch purchased by Lloyd Thomas, WROK manager house fronts on Rock River. Original property of W.T. Robertson. Arthur Hoyne, Chicago architect drew plans for building.
Source: Rockford Register Republic 10/12/1939
1950-1960 resident: Police Sgt. Carl Hartje.
“yielding to the new Whitman St. Bridge”
W.H. Fitch House, 1903 (surgeon, died 1920)
Dr. Fitch’s house, 849 N. Main St. house destroyed to make way for bridge entry
Rockford VFW owned for 3 1/2 years 1946-1950
res. 1939-1938 Dr. Maude Stowall
Source: Rockford Register Republic 4/11/1960 & Rockfordiana: Historic House 2
Began 1885 see also Fitch, Dr. W.H. City’s first private hospital. Corner of So. Court and Chestnut St.
Source: Rockford Big Town/Little City 977.331 C973r
Under ownership of the Rockford Hospital Association, 262 individuals in Rockford Hospital Associations 1887 – larger building needed. March of 1888 second building was dedicated at a cost of $15,000. Second building accommodated 30 beds 2nd building 3 story brick, connected by hall to old building original building living rooms for matron and nurses after 3/1888. Elevator donated in March 1988 by Horatio Stone cost of $1500. First operating room funded by Mrs. Ralph Emerson donation after son’s death run on subscriptions and collections. The original nurses: Lizzie Glenn, Melanie Caillat, Sofie Carlson, Myrtle Miles, Elizabeth Edstrom, Mrs. Johanna St. Clair, Louisa Ray and E. Tillich