On May 11, 1877, while this court house was still under construction, the central dome collapsed without warning killing ten workman and
seriously injuring ten more. Henry L. Gay, the architect, was ruled responsible because of flaws in his building plans. Nevertheless, the building
was completed in 1878.
In the front central circle can be seen the statue of the soldier who now guards the entrance to Memorial Hall on Wyman Street.
Source: Rockford To-day 1904, The Rockford Morning Star, The Clark Company Press, 1903.
Source: Promotional card/flyer produced through On The Waterfront Inc
Source: The Rock River Times. May 30, 2018, page 11
Source: “Civic Center Plans Alive”….Rockford Register-Republic 3/25/1974
“Civic center bill means six months of frenzy here” … Rockford Register-Republic 9/4/1974
Source: Rockford Woman Magazine, July/August 2008
Source: Rockford Magazine, November 1994, p. 42
Source: Winnebago County Farm Directory, 1943, R-917.733 E58 1943
The Rockford Public Library has several years but far from every year. The directory include listings of where all Rural Routes (7) were located.
Source: Winnebago County Illinois Land Atlas & Plat Book, 1976 Distributed by Winnebago County 4-H Clubs Published Map Publishers Inc.
Sections 1 – 26 are keyworded
Source: Rockford Register Star 3/02/2017
Source: Rockford Register Star December 21, 2008