Source: Antiques collector, who purchased windows from Wagon Wheel Lodge, who supposed had acquired them from the Winnebago County Courthouse.
Local History Dept. could not confirm or deny that they were part of courthouse.
Source: postcard that was for sale on www.eBay.com
Date of photograph? late 1940’s? Early 1950’s?
May, 11 1877: Courthouse dome collapses; 7 workmen killed, two more fatally injured. August 10, 1878; new courthouse is completed, contract price $211,000.
photo p. 13
Source: Rockford 50,000 917.733 R594
1903 photo p. 11
Source: Rockford Today 1904 917.733 R592
photo, article, Civil War Sentry statue
Source: Rockfordiana-Historic Houses and Landmarks-4, p.6 & Rockford Morning Star 10/29/1975
Source: Local History photographs, photographer unknown, date unknown.
“The history of the location of Winnebago County Seat led to a seven years war of heated controversy. The proprietors of Winnebago town, then located in our now North End, wanted the County Seat, but the County Commissioners opposed it. This situation finally brought it to the State Legislature, who caused a vote to be taken here in May, 1838, which resulted in Rockford’s getting the County Seat. June 8th, 1839, Commissioners selected a square on East side for Court House. September 28th, 1841 West side men submitted a proposition to furnish a site on the West side until permanent buildings could be erected. December 11th, they turned over Court House and new log jail, opposite where Nelson Hotel now stands. In 1843 this same group of citizens and others offered to build and furnish Court House as desired, provided it was on the West side—– the above shows the Court House as finished in 1844, on site now occupied by present building.” [400 West State St.]
Source: “Rockford since Pioneer Days 1834,” Courtesy of Rockford National Bank, Rockford, IL, Oct 14, 1927 R977.33 R59